Tooth Found at Copenhagen, Louisiana

kaytlen7

I found this tooth 1 year ago in the Copenhagen Community of Louisiana (Northeast Louisiana). My family settled in that area around 150 years ago... There is now a Copenhagen Hills Preserve area with many archeological digs there from the local universities. Kind of funny because the settlers there were using rib bones, etc as door stops... My brothers and I wonder the hills when I'm there to visit with many small bones, large pieces of quartz, and an occasional rib bone, ray teeth, seashells, and now this tooth being found. Most of the time we find these things just laying around on the ground or in a creek bed. It is noted that this is probably an Eocene time period....it is known that bones of Basilosaurus have been located in the hills..along with bones of rays. This site will give you a little inkling of what Copenhagen is like. The p

http://www.nature.org/ourinitiatives/regions/northamerica/unitedstates/louisiana/placesweprotect/copenhagen-hills-preserve.xml

Any help in identifying would be appreciated. Measures 3 1/2 " in length, 3" in width, 1 1/2" in depth.

Thanks again!

post-20029-0-42034700-1446756709_thumb.jpg

"We are fossils in the making".... Wallace Stegner

I found this tooth 1 year ago in the Copenhagen Community of Louisiana (Northeast Louisiana). My family settled in that area around 150 years ago... There is now a Copenhagen Hills Preserve area with many archeological digs there from the local universities. Kind of funny because the settlers there were using rib bones, etc as door stops... My brothers and I wonder the hills when I'm there to visit with many small bones, large pieces of quartz, and an occasional rib bone, ray teeth, seashells, and now this tooth being found. Most of the time we find these things just laying around on the ground or in a creek bed. It is noted that this is probably an Eocene time period....it is known that bones of Basilosaurus have been located in the hills..along with bones of rays. This site will give you a little inkling of what Copenhagen is like. The p

http://www.nature.org/ourinitiatives/regions/northamerica/unitedstates/louisiana/placesweprotect/copenhagen-hills-preserve.xml

Any help in identifying would be appreciated. Measures 3 1/2 " in length, 3" in width, 1 1/2" in depth.

Thanks again!

Very cool find. I'm sure someone on here will be able to help. I have a friend who hunts shark teeth in that area.

Sorry to disappoint, but that is not a tooth.

There is no enamel, and no bone/root structure.

That is a suggestively shaped rock.

Keep Looking. :)

Regards,

Tim    VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM APRIL - 2015  

interesting looking but it doesn't look to be a fossil

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

I know it was a hard work behind the presentation of the specimen and the result is a very nice picture showing the specimen in different angles which is necessary for a good ID, but I have to agree with the others, that is not a tooth, as Tim said, is a suggestively shaped rock. :(

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Interesting...now I'm wondering about another finding ...thanks for the replies

post-20029-0-12773200-1446782970_thumb.jpg

post-20029-0-53850000-1446783003_thumb.jpg

The first one is unfortunately just a suggestively shaped rock :( .

The second however is a really nice Eocene coral. I couldn't tell you specifically what kind.

I agree.The second one is a solitary rugose coral (horn coral) with predation borings on it.

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Thanks for the reply...the sharp edges on each side threw off the rock comments...plus there's an inner line encircling the middle composite material.

Archived