kaytlen7

Tooth Found at Copenhagen, Louisiana

kaytlen7

I found this tooth 1 year ago in the Copenhagen Community of Louisiana (Northeast Louisiana). My family settled in that area around 150 years ago... There is now a Copenhagen Hills Preserve area with many archeological digs there from the local universities. Kind of funny because the settlers there were using rib bones, etc as door stops... My brothers and I wonder the hills when I'm there to visit with many small bones, large pieces of quartz, and an occasional rib bone, ray teeth, seashells, and now this tooth being found. Most of the time we find these things just laying around on the ground or in a creek bed. It is noted that this is probably an Eocene time period....it is known that bones of Basilosaurus have been located in the hills..along with bones of rays. This site will give you a little inkling of what Copenhagen is like. The p

http://www.nature.org/ourinitiatives/regions/northamerica/unitedstates/louisiana/placesweprotect/copenhagen-hills-preserve.xml

Any help in identifying would be appreciated. Measures 3 1/2 " in length, 3" in width, 1 1/2" in depth.

Thanks again!

post-20029-0-42034700-1446756709_thumb.jpg

JarrodB

I found this tooth 1 year ago in the Copenhagen Community of Louisiana (Northeast Louisiana). My family settled in that area around 150 years ago... There is now a Copenhagen Hills Preserve area with many archeological digs there from the local universities. Kind of funny because the settlers there were using rib bones, etc as door stops... My brothers and I wonder the hills when I'm there to visit with many small bones, large pieces of quartz, and an occasional rib bone, ray teeth, seashells, and now this tooth being found. Most of the time we find these things just laying around on the ground or in a creek bed. It is noted that this is probably an Eocene time period....it is known that bones of Basilosaurus have been located in the hills..along with bones of rays. This site will give you a little inkling of what Copenhagen is like. The p

http://www.nature.org/ourinitiatives/regions/northamerica/unitedstates/louisiana/placesweprotect/copenhagen-hills-preserve.xml

Any help in identifying would be appreciated. Measures 3 1/2 " in length, 3" in width, 1 1/2" in depth.

Thanks again!

Very cool find. I'm sure someone on here will be able to help. I have a friend who hunts shark teeth in that area.

Fossildude19

Sorry to disappoint, but that is not a tooth.

There is no enamel, and no bone/root structure.

That is a suggestively shaped rock.

Keep Looking. :)

Regards,

Herb

interesting looking but it doesn't look to be a fossil

abyssunder

I know it was a hard work behind the presentation of the specimen and the result is a very nice picture showing the specimen in different angles which is necessary for a good ID, but I have to agree with the others, that is not a tooth, as Tim said, is a suggestively shaped rock. :(

Troodon

Agreed

kaytlen7

Interesting...now I'm wondering about another finding ...thanks for the replies

post-20029-0-12773200-1446782970_thumb.jpg

post-20029-0-53850000-1446783003_thumb.jpg

TNCollector

The first one is unfortunately just a suggestively shaped rock :( .

The second however is a really nice Eocene coral. I couldn't tell you specifically what kind.

kaytlen7

Awesome! Thank you

abyssunder

I agree.The second one is a solitary rugose coral (horn coral) with predation borings on it.

Lone wolf

The first pic Is a pen shell cast I've found a few just like it in Copenhagen .

kaytlen7

Thanks for the reply...the sharp edges on each side threw off the rock comments...plus there's an inner line encircling the middle composite material.