Belgian Devonian deposits Part 2

Manticocerasman

Fieldtrip in the Belgian Devonian deposits Part 2

Saturday 07/11/2015,I had a new fieldtrip to the quarry that I visited last time.

This time, we had a whole group of 25 people from the “BVP” (Belgian group of Paleontology) to guide around the quarry. But we also went to take some specific field notes, a friend of us is studying the stratigraphy of a new part of the quarry. He had marked the specific new layers with paint.

P1010367.JPG

The deposits are late Devonian (Frasnian) limestone and schists containing fossils from the ancient reefs nearby. So the most common fossils where corals, crinoid stems, bryozoan, gasteropods and brachiopods. But since the deposits are a little away from the reefs sometimes fossils of swimming predators can be found in the form of shells from Goniatites, Orthocereas or Bactrites.

My goal for today was hopefully to find a nice looking cephalopod, I found a few last time so maybe I could find better specimens today.

I got there early, so waiting for the group I prospected the debris next to the quarry, This proved to be an excellent start, I found 2 large goniatites and a part of an orthoceras.

Although the specimens where very badly preserved and incomplete this was looking very promising.

A friend of mine arrived there shortly after. I showed him the fossils and we went back to those piles hoping for more. The next fossils that where found where multiple corals “Hexagonaria” a few crinoid particles and brachiopods.

Before we got ready to go down in the quarry to wait for the group , we each found an impressive fossil.

I got a complete orthocone from an Orthoceras, I had found fragments of Orthoceras before, mostly not more than a few chambers, but I had never seen one like this.

My friend got a complete and good preserved 3.5” goniatite with showed nicely the septa’s of the shell.

This was an incredible way to start the trip.

my orthocone:

P1010369.JPG

Kevin's goniatite:

c.jpg

After this we went down to the meeting point where we waited for the group. This was in a trackway for the bulldozers next to a barite vein and before the deposits we were going to prospect.

It was at this location that I was sitting next to my bag when I saw the group enter the quarry.

At that moment my friend was already trying to dislodge some Barite crystals with a crow bar… I heard him scream, something had gone wrong… He had lost grip of his crowbar resulting in his finger smashed. I went down the track to see what was wrong and while watching my steps I saw some suture lines peering through the mud. I picked it up and realized I found perfectly preserved Goniatite.

I then got to my friend with this awkward moment when I had to ask if he was all right while showing him the terrible fossil I just picked up. Only adding to his agony. (sorry Kev. )

the awesome Goniatite:

P1010376.JPG

After a litle cleanup at home:

P1010396.JPG

After this incident we met with the group and Anthonie the one who organized the field trip. Seeing a few familiar faces and a few new enthusiastic kids new to fossil hunting. Anthonie explained the stratigraphy and age of the deposits. We then passed around some of the fossils we picked up to show everyone what to look for.

P1010375.JPG

I then took time to take some of the starting collectors to spots that where easy to prospect and shared info about the specimens they found. I distributed the fossils I found at those spots among the Kids until we gathered for lunch.

P1010372.JPG

P1010382.JPG

b.jpg

d.jpg

One of the members found an incredible fossil between the corals and crinoid parts. A perfectly preserved Crinoid calyx with his arms folded into itself.

Apparently this kind of position is due to asphyxiation of the animal.

But other spectacular specimens where found:

During lunch another participant showed us a 2nd crinoid calyx, but this time with his arms unfolded.

e.jpg

P1010378.JPG

After lunch I went to another part of the quarry with Kevin and Anthonie that we hadn’t prospected before, this was the old part that they are starting to fill with debris from the new pit.

Fossils where much rarer in this part but I managed to pull out 2 extra goniatites out the debris.

Anthonie made another impressive find by cracking open a small nodule.: this rock revealed the head of a phacopid trilobite. He contacted an expert this weekend about this and apparently this is the first specimen found in this quarry.

Yay, I found another Goniatite:

f.jpg

P1010379.JPG

After that the day got to an end, we went back to the group and started to gather all the participants, to head back to the cars and discuss al the great discoveries made that day. Everybody was pleased with their finds and a few of us went for a drink and dinner at a local tavern where we spent the rest of the evening.

P1010388.JPG

P1010394.JPG

I hope you all enjoyed reading this report.

Kevin Houben

( thanks to Anthonie for the pictures)

growing old is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Terrific report; thank you very much!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Kevin,

Thanks for the exciting report.

A good day for you with the cephalopods/goniatites!

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Congratulations. Awesome finds, especially the wonderful big goniatites, straight-shelled nautiloid, and the crinoid calyx! Looks like you all had an especially good day.

Another great report from Europe that includes food and beer.

Isn't food and beer mandatory in trip reports?

... I am in remote places with lousy camp food and maybe a beer.

Salud, nonetheless!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

Which one of the 2 fossils should I enter for fossil of the month?

The Orthoceras:

P1010399.JPG

or the Goniatite: Manticoceras sp.:

P1010396.JPG

I rather like the Orthoceras.

• 2 months later...

Today I took time to do a litle prepwork on 2 goniatites I foud that day:

P1230527.JPG

P1230529.JPG

P1230531.JPG

Nice work! Wish we had some of those down here.

Agree :D

Really nice Kevin...great prep and a awesome fossil ;)

Many greetings from Germany ! Have a great time with many fossils :)

Regards Sebastian

Belo.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Archived