Anomalocaris? Or something else...

This a great lesson about problems with identification. This is a genuine Cambrian fossil but was identified as "Anomalocaris roulette mouth". Thanks to a member of this forum I was put in touch with Dr Allison Daley from Oxford, a leading Anomalocaris expert from the Burgess Shale. The Doc confirmed to me that it was not Anomalocaris, but Omnidens Amplus, a Cambrian predator worm. I mentioned this to the seller and supplied an article on distinguishing the two, and got the Omnidens for 2\3 price! Love it.

post-20038-0-35762000-1447081124_thumb.jpg

post-20038-0-62447100-1447081145_thumb.png

post-20038-0-54144500-1447081166_thumb.png

• I found this Informative 1

"That belongs in a museum!"

- Indiana Jones

You mean Amplus omnidens?

I still don't know how anyone can see anything in that melted-recrystallized jpg of an incomplete, crushed fossil... but I'm no expert. It's nice that the sellers can be accommodating like that, though. Usually, whenever I point out a misidentification to a seller, they admit (or feign) ignorance or it otherwise falls on deaf ears.

You mean Amplus omnidens?

I still don't know how anyone can see anything in that melted-recrystallized jpg of an incomplete, crushed fossil... but I'm no expert. It's nice that the sellers can be accommodating like that, though. Usually, whenever I point out a misidentification to a seller, they admit (or feign) ignorance or it otherwise falls on deaf ears.

I'm fairly certain its Omnidens amplus. But, yea, the seller is very easy to talk to and thanked me for letting him know. He immediately accepted the much lower offer. I know a few people who buy from him and he's a good guy. Its easy to mistake Anomalocaridids mouthes for Omnidens. The Oxford Doc knew immediately tho. And identified my newest piece. A cousin of the Anomalocaris, the Amplectobelua symbrachiata. This one much easier to recognize from my bad pics. I'm on a new weird tablet and it havnt 100% figured it out. Sorry.

post-20038-0-48680300-1447317730_thumb.png

- Indiana Jones

You're right, it looks to be Omnidens amplus. That looked backwards to me somehow.

That is an interesting specimen, there. I can see 3 claws.

Do you mind sharing who your seller is? It he on ebay? (PM me if you prefer)

Yup, I'll post something when I get back from work in a couple hrs.find a better one to compare it to. When you're a Cambrian nerd like me a blob and a few lines on the right rock is mind blowing. In fact, I'm so nerdy I bought this to send to the Oxford Doc as a thanks present.

post-20038-0-90722400-1447402341_thumb.jpg

- Indiana Jones

I'll try to find the holotype. I did post an illustration of the holotype and another (better) specimen. Holotypes are often quite old and not up to date.

- Indiana Jones

I am having a hard time seeing the original fossil as well. Any chance you could show us what is in there? Thanks.

OK, I have a couple pics here. There black/white figure A is the holotype but its not easy to see. On my fossil u can clearly see the larger teeth on the outside and the smaller on the inside with spines/serrations. Its just the mouth of the beast. The rest never survives. There are actually not many of these around!

post-20038-0-51629700-1447409109_thumb.jpg

post-20038-0-79371300-1447409136_thumb.png

post-20038-0-03973100-1447409158_thumb.png

post-20038-0-68567400-1447409174_thumb.png

- Indiana Jones

• 2 weeks later...

EIToro, do we know why there is such a large pile of them fossilized? Breeding? or just hatched and snuffed out?

What do you mean "large pile"? U mean the pics I posted? That's only one individual. All those little bits are its teeth. Sorry, I'm not being rude, I'm just making the assumption that's what u mean.

- Indiana Jones