Bone or stone?

sTamprockcoin

Found a couple of teeth in a glacial till stone pit near my home. How can I tell if they're bone (i.e. recent) or stone (fossilized)? None of the deer/bear or farmers I showed them to post-19652-0-67157900-1447082662_thumb.jpgpost-19652-0-61035600-1447082665_thumb.jpgpost-19652-0-99729700-1447082666_thumb.jpgpost-19652-0-11360800-1447082668_thumb.jpgpost-19652-0-58844800-1447082669_thumb.jpgrecognized them.

“Beautiful is what we see. More beautiful is what we understand. Most beautiful is what we do not comprehend.” N. Steno

Interesting rock. Has some characteristics of a well worn horse tooth, As much as it looks like a horse tooth (see attached image) it could just as well be a deceptive looking concretion that looks like a horse tooth.

post-10605-0-84068100-1447196388_thumb.jpg

Edited by jpevahouse
  • I found this Informative 1

Oh, I think they are teeth alright; I just do not know what kind.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

They most definitely look like mammal teeth. But after googling your area, it seems there are mostly Devonian deposits there. http://www.atlas.keystone.edu/research/geology/geo_image/LgGeologicMap.jpg

So that would suggest that they would be recent. I can't find an exact match. But they remind me most of horse and rhino teeth.

Edited by LordTrilobite
  • I found this Informative 1

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

Thanks for the help. After additional research (some of which was almost revolting) I've decided that they are the back "molars" of cow- probably one enjoyed by one of our local coyotes or wolves.

“Beautiful is what we see. More beautiful is what we understand. Most beautiful is what we do not comprehend.” N. Steno