Tomorrow

Uncle Siphuncle

Sweet finds man! You always seem to have lady luck on your side.

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'

Good work, Dan. You've stretched the time warp continuum...........!

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

A few Cook Mountain goodies....The biggest Ecm gastropod I've ever heard of....

Since I don't know anything from anything about your Cook Mountain stuff, I am free to appreciate without prejudice; I really like the gastropod :wub:

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

That gastropod is amazing (and the jaw is cool, too)! I've not seen one like that. Do you have an ID?

No sir Mike, that's why I showed it here...calling all experts!

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

That gastropod is amazing (and the jaw is cool, too)! I've not seen one like that. Do you have an ID?

Awesome Dan, the jaw made me sit up and the gastropod put me back down.

Keep 'em coming.

Brian

Brian Evans

For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple, neat, and wrong.

Dan,

I have never seen a snail that large in the Gulf Coast cook Mountain Formation. Now large snails are known in the Eocene. Pictured below is a snail I collected from the Eocene, Gosport Sand Fm, Claiborne, Alabama some years ago. It is Papillina papillata (Conrad)

post-8-1239739997_thumb.jpg

Now as to the identity of that snail you found in the Cook Mountain, I don't know. My first thought was that it was a Clavilithes sp.. You need to post some more pictures of that thing, better lighting on the bottom half and show the aperture. Below is a picture of a very large Clavitilithes macrospira from the Eocene, Barton Beds, in the UK. It is way bigger than the Clavilithes texanum from the Cook Mountain formation.

post-8-1239740060_thumb.jpg

JKFoam

The Eocene is my favorite

Jim

Wow if you have never seen a gastropod that large from the Ecm, it must be something special as most folks don't have the experience in that formation that you do. I'll post more pics, but the aperture and bottom whorl are completely gone. It is clearly Ecm since I dug it out of the bedded exposure. I knew it was significant when my boy and I laid eyes on it, even though it isn't complete. I've since dipped it in thinned Butvar as it was very fragile with many cracks.

Have you ever seen bone in the Ecm of TX? I'm curious to hear your take on that piece. Trust me, I've examined countless TX Pleistocene bones and precious few have the density of the specimen shown. Thanks for your input sir.

Grüße,

Sent your picture to the experts that I know (that are not on this forum). Looks like jkfoam nailed it. Here is what one of them said:

"Hey Mike, that’s a beauty, his name is Clavilithes sp. The spelling may be off by a letter or two there, but he is supposedly a Weches-Only formation type of guy. I’ve found a few large pieces similar to that one and one large full specimen all in Weches formation outcrops. Very nice specimen.

Thanks again for the photo; keep ‘em coming.

Chris"

He also sent this.

post-534-1239742848_thumb.jpg

dan - the archaeocete whisperer - um, look. does the thing have a bunch of cancellous bone showing on the breaks? let's face it, the density is probably due to mineralization which could easily have occurred over early pleistocene type time frames. it being found on float atop Ecm sounds kinda like it was evicted from its real home and ended up squatting on a big pile of diagenetically altered gastropod poop.

my guess would be that it hails from one of the usual megabiggiefaunal suspects, a la mammoth, nipple tooth, or "big lazy". but your poundage may vary.

Jim

Wow if you have never seen a gastropod that large from the Ecm, it must be something special as most folks don't have the experience in that formation that you do. I'll post more pics, but the aperture and bottom whorl are completely gone. It is clearly Ecm since I dug it out of the bedded exposure. I knew it was significant when my boy and I laid eyes on it, even though it isn't complete. I've since dipped it in thinned Butvar as it was very fragile with many cracks.

Have you ever seen bone in the Ecm of TX? I'm curious to hear your take on that piece. Trust me, I've examined countless TX Pleistocene bones and precious few have the density of the specimen shown. Thanks for your input sir.

Dan,

All my Paleontologist friends always reminded me to be on the look out for evidence of whale in my collecting in the Texas Eocene, but I never found anything or heard of anyone else finding any. As far as finding any bone all I ever found was a few fish bone pieces and they were small. This is not to say that mammal bones are not present in the Cook Mountain Fm. D.T. Dockerty in his publication " The Invertebrate Macropaleontology of the Clarke County Mississippi Area" states that the Archusa Marl Member of the Cook Mountain Fm has a land mammal locality where titanothere bone was collected (page 45). Of course, there is always the possibility of Pleistocene material being washed into the Eocene exposure.

Jim

The Eocene is my favorite

If I were sure this were Pleistocene I'd have skipped it across the ripples. I reckon I'll hold onto it for a while......

Grüße,

Great stuff again! Well worth the wait.

If you believe everything you read, perhaps it's time for you to stop reading...

It's a good thing...thought I was going to have to come over there and take matters...pictures into my own hand. ;)

It's good to know PEER PRESSURE still works!!! :P

What is geology? "Rocks for Jocks!"

If I were sure this were Pleistocene I'd have skipped it across the ripples. I reckon I'll hold onto it for a while......

it wouldna skipped. it woulda just sunk and laid there for years until somebody found it and said, "look, vinnie! eocene whaleans hunted with bb guns!"