Belgrade Quarry - Maysville, Nc

greel

I understand this quarry has reopened to collectors. I will be going in next Friday for the first time. Has

anyone been here before? If so, do you have fossil specimens you could post? Collecting tips perhaps?

I've read its located on North Carolina's Oligocene deposits, so I would expect to find the same teeth

one would near Summerville, SC (angustidens, hemis, makos) or similar to Pungo in PCS. I've also

heard this is a site that you should bring a screen and shovel - is there water here or is it dry screening of

material? Do you run into any deposits of fossils from other ages here? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?

-greel

Sorry, greel. I really don't know much about that quarry. I went there about a year ago and they were still closed to the public at that point. Like you I am now hearing they've reopened. I will do a little digging (no pun intended :D ) and see what I can find out for you. It may not be until late Saturday night before I can come back and repost, as I will be out of state all day, but I promise I will get back to you.

Is this site open all the time or just on certain days and is it open or do you need to get permission? Also what is is the exact address?

Is this site open all the time or just on certain days and is it open or do you need to get permission? Also what is is the exact address?

I'll check on that, too sweeney. I'm not sure of the address, but I know how to get to it from here. It's right off of Hwy 17 North in Maysville. Maysville is a very small town, and you can see the quarry right off of the highway.

BTW greel, if you go to www.blackriverfossils.org and search Belgrade Quarry, you will be able to view a few pix of other people's finds and their accounts of their trips. This might give you an idea of the types of fossils found.

BTW greel, if you go to www.blackriverfossils.org and search Belgrade Quarry, you will be able to view a few pix of other people's finds and their accounts of their trips. This might give you an idea of the types of fossils found.

Thanks fossilover. Since it is one of the Martin Marietta quarries, they are probably only open on certain days

when there is no scheduled blasting taking place. Please call ahead folks. People going into this mine uninvited

got it closed to collectors for many years and it has now just reopened. This is right in your backyard fossilover -

you should come join us!

-greel

Thanks fossilover. Since it is one of the Martin Marietta quarries, they are probably only open on certain days

when there is no scheduled blasting taking place. Please call ahead folks. People going into this mine uninvited

got it closed to collectors for many years and it has now just reopened. This is right in your backyard fossilover -

you should come join us!

-greel

Do you have any contact information for this quarry to see when they are open.

Do you have any contact information for this quarry to see when they are open.

sweeneyb,

Check out your NC site post in Questions & Answers board. I pasted a Martin Marrietta quarry site locator

with contact numbers to call.

-greel

It had slipped my mind that this is Easter weekend, so don't worry. I haven't forgotten about you guys. Will post again on Monday with some info. Hope everyone has a great Easter!!!

Archived