Upcoming trip to Florida and South Carolina

Kentrcarlson

Hi All. I'm going to blast down to Florida from December 23-30 and then Edisto Island, SC Dec 30 - Jan 3rd. In Florida, I plan to do a lot of kayaking and fossil hunting near the Rainbow springs sp area (withlachochee, steinhatchee, wacassassa) and then near Edisto Island when in SC. Even though I've fossil hunted there before, any tips would most welcome.

Kent

Although I live only a county away from Rainbow Springs I've never actually gone fossil hunting there so I can't offer any suggestions for that. I can tell you that the Withlacoochee River is finally dropping so by the time you get to the area the water level should be better for hunting.

You'll be close enough to Gainesville that you might want to make a stop to visit the creeks there. Particularly if you have any interest in collecting micro matrix. Gainesvlle is about an hour drive from Rainbow Springs.

Kara

I am also headed to Florida, Via North Carolina and South Carolina (either before i head to FL or after, havent decided) from Dec 19th to the 29th, 10 days. My trip includes Edisto Island, Summerville creeeks, Aurora, NC, the Outer Banks (sight seeing only in OBX), then to the Keys for some fun in the sun. I am also interested in any tips on hunting spots in FL. I might hunt the Peace...or other creeks if theyr low enough. PEACE

Be sure to post in the SC forum as well, y'all. Lots of responses there :) I've not been out to Edisto myself yet but people seem to have great success on the beach there. I am seeing an orthopedist for some issues I've had with my shoulder and arm the past couple weeks so provided nothing major is going on that would require surgery (ugh) then I might could show y'all some spots in and around Summerville. :)

"Direct observation of the testimony of the earth ... is a matter of the laboratory, of the field naturalist, of indefatigable digging among the ancient archives of the earth's history."

— Henry Fairfield Osborn

Note the creeks near Summerville were very high. I did find I nice vert. And a broken tooth and I found them at night while the tide was low. Here is what we found while we were their in late October.

Note the creeks near Summerville were very high. I did find I nice vert. And a broken tooth and I found them at night while the tide was low. Here is what we found while we were their in late October.

post-17749-0-64495000-1447343624_thumb.jpg

post-17749-0-47899600-1447343748_thumb.jpg

Very nice indeed! Yes we've recently suffered from record rains and flooding. It's been... interesting. :/ I guess the silver lining is that it does bring more fossils to light.

"Direct observation of the testimony of the earth ... is a matter of the laboratory, of the field naturalist, of indefatigable digging among the ancient archives of the earth's history."

— Henry Fairfield Osborn

Hi all!

Thanks for the info. Floods and then decreasing water levels sounds great for fossiling. I'm probably bringing some Scuba, so this sounds even better for prospects in the the deeper holes.

I've got a few days around SC, and have never fossil hunted in the area, so any co-trips there would be most welcome. Email me at kentrcarlson@gmail.com and hopefully we can set something up. I'd love to get on some local SC trips!

Kent

Ps Nice! October finds..

Pps Rockknocker, if your up for co-trips in the Rainbow area, send me an email!

Edisto and Cooper Rivers are famous for gorgeous megs for those that SCUBA. I'm afraid I have no idea about what to look for when it comes to spots for SCUBA hunts though. I'm hoping next year or the year after I can spend the time and money on getting lessons and cert for SCUBA. I do know that you can snorkel in gravel beds on the Edisto further inland from the coast (like up in Colleton County) and may have some good finds. One of the other forum members here does that quite a bit.

— Henry Fairfield Osborn

If either of you folks will be in the SW Fl area I can give you some spots to hunt: ) just pm me

Every once in a great while it's not just a big rock down there!

Edisto Beach is hit and misss these days but they had some unusual fall storms and tides so you just never know. Walk down the beach in the State Park to Jeremy's Inlet at low tide and see what you find, you can cross the creek at low tide and hunt on Eddingsville beach as well.

• 3 weeks later...

Excellent. Thanks!

I'll have a kayak with me as well. Do you have any idea if hunting Deveaux bank (outside North Edisto river) or Pine island (across the South Edisto river) is worth a shot?

Archived