USB video camera for fossil prep work

trilobite tim

I was wondering if anyone has any experience with simple video cameras, mag 20 - 800 x for prep work? I was thinking of getting one and putting it in my prep "box". Much cheaper than a microscope and swing arm. I could run the cable out and right to my lap top. The write-up says focal length can be adjusted out to 200 mm. More than enough to work on small fossils.

thanks, Tim

Interesting idea! How about the depth of field - will it be comparable to a microscope? And how can you change the focal length - will it be fixed?

You won't use magnification higher than 20X. My normal range is from 5X to 15X (and my age is 63 - your eyes should be better than mine).

Thomas

Edited by oilshale

Be not ashamed of mistakes and thus make them crimes (Confucius, 551 BC - 479 BC).

For really close, precision prepping, two eyes are better than one: binocular 'scopes have that edge, plus higher resolution than a monitor.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

For really close, precision prepping, two eyes are better than one: binocular 'scopes have that edge, plus higher resolution than a monitor.

Unless, like me, you lack stereoscopic vision. ;P

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

I tried a low power USB microscope for prep work and was not happy with it. There were two main drawbacks (video resolution not withstanding).

1. The image on the screen was reversed so moving the tool produced an opposite image on the monitor... Very disorienting.

2. Using an actual microscope on a specimen puts the work area in a natural orientation as compared to prepping without one (item prepped is physically in front of where you are looking) Using the USB microscope, I had to look away from the specimen to see what I was doing... Also disorienting.

So, micro work is still done under my antique stereo microscope and the USB microscope got converted to an astronomy video cam.

If you're worried about cost don't be. I paid about $250 for this beauty. I tried the USB cam for prepping, but resolution and delay quickly ended that route. I purchased this scope from AM Scope and I love it. I also bought my compound microscope from them as well. Both are amazing scopes.

Best regards,

Paul

post-16036-0-51314200-1447269957_thumb.jpg

...I'm back.