Publication on Canis latrans in Maryland

Hi All.

I found what I think is a canis latrans (coyote) carnassial tooth in the intertidal sand of a spot on the Chesapeake bay. I'm looking to co-author up with anyone who wants to help out with a short review of the tooth and prehistoric coyote distribution in the area. I'd post whatever is written in the forum and research gate.

From what I understand, canis latrans has only been reported from one other place in Maryland (Cumberland bone cave).

Kent

Quite a find!

How did you age the tooth?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I haven't aged the tooth yet but am interested in any definitive methods for doing so. You're talking about aging of the individual right, and estimating what age the individual was? I'm afraid that since the fossil was found in the intertidal zone it could have come from a wide variety of times/places.

... the fossil was found in the intertidal zone it could have come from a wide variety of times/places.

I was afraid of that; no provenience. That's a big problem, as far as being able to publish anything on it.

You know where it was found, but not where it came from, nor when. Even if you sprung the big bucks for radiometric dating (which is destructive), the question of how it got to where you found it cannot be answered.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Very true. No layer or stratigraphy to link it back to. The placement does localize it to the Chesaoeake bay, however, so it does give a rudiment of information. Not looking to publish. Descriptive elements and posting of the pertinent information online is more than enough. :)