Sign in to follow this  
barefootgunsmith

Lubbock, Tx Area?

barefootgunsmith

I may be taking a short contract job in Lubbock, is there any interesting fossil sites in that part of the state? I've never been there, so I have no knowledge of the area at all. I'd appreciate any help.

Fruitbat

The area around Lubbock has a veritable BONANZA of Miocene/Pliocene sites...as well as scattered Pleistocene. The biggest problem you'll encounter is that almost all of the land is privately owned and folks sometimes have a tendency to get a little upset if they find you wandering around behind their barbed wire. From Lubbock you're within driving range of some of the 'classic' sites like Clarendon, TX (that the late Miocene Clarendonian faunal stage is named after) and the Coffee Ranch site, a classic Hemphillian locale. Almost any road cut in the area north of Clarendon will have the potential to yield fossils. Look specifically for a golden-colored sand layer in the exposures. You can find fossils in other strata but the golden sand is the richest by far.

There are also LOTS of places where Permian 'red beds' are exposed and these often have the remains of early amphibians and other organisms. Since I haven't explored those areas extensively I can't really give you any tips on what to look for but perhaps there are other Forum members who can.

Good LUCK!!

-Joe

LanceH

Looking at a geo map the majority of Lubbock and Lynn counties are Quaternary-Pliocene age deposits. If you go a east into Garza county and southeast Crosby county the age is Triassic.

Near Post there's suposed to be some famous vertebrate sites:

Exposures of the Upper Triassic Dockum Group in northwestern Texas. The location of several of the vertebrate sites including Post Quarry, Kirkpatrick Quarry, Neyland Quarry, and Otis Chalk Quarry are indicated. From Chatterjee (1997).

post-11-1239458043_thumb.jpg

MikeD

There is also a well known Cretaceous site on FM 1269, just across the Scurry County line, north of Fluvanna, between Post and Snyder. Triassic exposure somewhere near the bottom of the hill, but I have only hunted near the top. See map HERE . It could be the Neyland site on Lance's map. Also see THIS POST and check out the picture of the outcrop posted by Mike Murphy. Hunt where those people are and also in the Edwards-Commanche Peak transition layer.

barefootgunsmith

Thank you everybody. Now I'm hoping harder to get that contract. I am looking forward to exploring the area. This site is such a wealth of information. I wish that I had found it sooner. I have needed a source of specific fossil knowledge and this is it, it's great.

If I get to go out there, I may be asking more questions about the area. I thank you all for the help.

Ronbo

Didnt know about the fossils in the area but near the gate going to what used to be Reese AFB me and my brother used to find arrowheads and scrapers and alot of stone artifacts, no lie we used to drag our red wagon around in the field and pick up a whole heap of them..

I aint been there since the early 70`s so I dont know what is there now