Large Shark tooth

Shellseeker

I found out something new today and decided to share it with TFF members. A TFF member was my hunting partner today. He found some good stuff and a couple of my better finds are below.

However, he showed me a 2.42 inch tooth that he found in a SW Florida creek last week. I did not recognize it, although I am sure many (some) ((one)) TFF shark tooth expert will.

post-2220-0-30259800-1447546317_thumb.jpgpost-2220-0-75853800-1447546333_thumb.jpg

ID please --

Here are a couple of my shark finds from today. We were out on a prospecting trip and found some gravel.. We will go back there..

I love Sand Tigers and this one came in the last sieve of the day.post-2220-0-79390600-1447546742_thumb.jpg

and I also rarely find verts..

post-2220-0-38711200-1447546797_thumb.jpg

Thanks for any/all comments Jack

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Nice finds Jack, to me that looks like an upper Mako: )

Every once in a great while it's not just a big rock down there!

Are my eyes playing tricks or do I see some weak serrations on that tooth? I want to say I see faint serrations like I. escheri has.

post-2220-0-20642700-1447551022_thumb.jpg

Good EYES , Bierk....

It is not Isurus !!!!

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

That is a very interesting tooth. My original thought is I. hastalis, but you can definitely see some faint serrations. It could be heading towards C. hubbelli. If that's the case, it is quite a rare find.

post-18861-0-59978600-1447551779_thumb.jpg

C. hubbelli tooth

The sand tiger and the vert are very nice finds as well.

A good friend of mine has a weakly partially serrated tooth of similar type from the peace so I am very interested in this.

I would go with Grimlock at this point. One of the problems I have is keeping up the changes in the scientific naming on teeth in Isurus\carcharodon\et. al. and the related items.

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/gallery/image/30556-great-white-shark-evolution-isurus-hastalis-carcharadon-hubbelli-carcharadon-carcharias/

My hunting partner has sent photos of this tooth to Gordon Hubble, who identified the tooth as Carcharadon Hubbelli, As Bierk has indicated, a few of these are being found in Florida's Peace River and other SW Florida creeks. Gordon originally found this transitional tooth in Peru in the late 1980s.

So , I learned about the tooth Carcharadon Hubbelli, and at the same time discovered that possibly I also could find one of these in my favorite hunting spots. Jack

It's hard to disagree with Gordon Hubble on a tooth named after him, but to me it looks more like Isurus. Maybe it is just a position in the mouth that I am unfamiliar with. The few C. hubbelli in my collection look much different.

It is a transitional Mako-Gt. White. Pretty rare!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Upper I. hastalis. I think the "serrations" are just ripples in the enamel.

I agree with RickNC

Tom

Grow Old Kicking And Screaming !!
"Don't Tread On Me"

• 3 weeks later...

hastalis is NOT Isurus. hastalis leads directly into Carcharodon, so you could call it Carcharodon hastalis (some authors do) or Cosmopolitodus hastis but not Isurus. Isurus and Cosmopolitodus branched off each other somewhere in the early-middle Eocene. It is a Great White, not a Mako. If you were to see one in person, it would look just like a Great White except for the lack of serrations on the teeth. You would not call a sharpnose shark a hammerhead, even though the hammerheads branched off of them and the teeth look very similar.

Paleoc,

Let me make sure I understand,

.....It is a Great White, not a Mako. If you were to see one in person, it would look just like a Great White except for the lack of serrations on the teeth............

Here is a GW that I found within 15 feet of the spot my hunting buddy found the tooth above...post-2220-0-29592700-1449202073_thumb.jpg

Clearly a GW.

The tooth above "seems" just as clearly a Mako, with the slight ripples or serrations depending on your viewpoint... What you are saying is that the shark that had this tooth would have looked like a GW, not a Mako..

post-2220-0-17848000-1449202388_thumb.jpg

I am learning something new here...

Archived