Small Predator Carnassial

Shellseeker

Looking for an ID on this find today by my hunting partner!! Curious on the size...

post-2220-0-30920700-1447556869_thumb.jpg

post-2220-0-40201800-1447556886_thumb.jpg

post-2220-0-96518700-1447556901_thumb.jpg

Thanks for all responses. Jack

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Cal,

A while back, I got this excellent set of lower/upper Latrans carnassials from Harry. Measurements on the lower yields 21mm (.83 inch).

post-2220-0-88062900-1447599514_thumb.jpgpost-2220-0-87609600-1447599532_thumb.jpg

The tooth to be IDed is a little over .6 inch, but may be just expected variability.

It is a small canid and that limits our choices, so Coyote is most probable. Thanks Jack

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

I found this image at pixgood.com; their source is otherwise undisclosed:

post-423-0-77879900-1447600806_thumb.jpg

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I found this image at pixgood.com; their source is otherwise undisclosed:

attachicon.gif~.jpg

Thanks for the heads-up, Chas, but I couldn't find the image at pixgood.com. That is an image from my gallery on TFF that has been viewed nearly 1600 times.

I don't think the mystery tooth is a coyote carnassial. In fact, I don't think it's a carnassial at all. It reminds me of a p4 or a P3, but I don't recognize the species. I thought it might be from a river otter, but now I'm skeptical after a little research.

post-42-0-08190200-1447625445_thumb.jpg

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

I thought it looked like your style of presentation, Harry, but there is no attribution on the site at which I found it.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I thought it looked like your style of presentation, Harry, but there is no attribution on the site at which I found it.

Same here lol, as soon as I saw that pic I thought it looked Harry had taken it :)

Every once in a great while it's not just a big rock down there!