Mazon creek trivia

jpc

My fiance and i just watched the movie "Planes, Trains and Automobiles". Early on, Steve Martin and John Candy are supposed to be at a hotel outside of Wichita, and i noticed... "That doesn't look like Kansas, that pile of dirt in the background and the trees look like the Mazon Creek area of Illinois". And then they panned out to show that they were staying at the Braidwood Inn... Yes, it is Braidwood, Illinois, right in the heart of where some of the best Carnoniferous fossils in the world come from. I bet Steve and John had no idea.

Fossil trivia for you all.

Sweet! Sir, do you feel this car is safe for highway travel"? "Yes, yes I do". Hahaha.

Finding my way through life; one fossil at a time.

Sweet! Sir, do you feel this car is safe for highway travel"? "Yes, yes I do". Hahaha.

It's not much to look at, but it'll get you where you want to go. I love that bit

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

Reason enough to go see that movie again. Fun when you recognize locations from a movie (especially when they are not where they are supposed to be). Most of the movie "Groundhog Day" (with Bill Murray) was not shot in Punxsutawney, PA but in Woodstock, IL (a little over an hour west of Chicago). Bill Murray is from the Chicago area and he often looks for ways to film in the area. I've gone up to see concerts at the old Opera House there (a really nice venue) and if you walk around the town square there are all sorts of brass plaques mounted in various locations where scenes from the movie were filmed.

Another (surreal) example of recognizing a filming location from a movie happened to my wife and I when we were on a trip to see the sights in Utah (put 2000 miles on a brand new rental car in about 10 days). We were at a little known state park not very far from the well known Arches National Park. Goblin Valley State Park is a small but very interesting park with sandstone pinnacle formations similar to the hoodoos of Bryce Canyon. I encourage anybody who lives in Utah (or nearby) who has not been to this little jewel of a state park to give it a visit some day.

http://utah.com/goblin-valley-state-park

We were the only car in the park at the time and we had the run of the place. I took lots of photos and then we saw a storm approaching that soon had us running back to the car. We got pelted by heavy rain on the way out and could barely see the road on the way to Moab where we were to see Arches the following day. I plopped down on the bed in the hotel room and aimlessly punched through the available channels looking for something to watch for a few minutes before dinner. I stopped in the middle of a movie I'd seen before but was willing to watch a bit of from the middle--Galaxy Quest (Tim Allen, Sigourney Weaver, Alan Rickman, etc.) What I saw caused me to burst out laughing. It was Tim Allen fighting the "Rock Monster" right where we'd been just an hour or so before. It would have been amusing had I recognized this at some later point in time but to see this so soon after was a surreal synchronicity.

post-7713-0-44302900-1447774073_thumb.jpg

Tim Allen fights the Rock Monster

post-7713-0-92123700-1447774072_thumb.jpg

Rock Monster habitat as I saw it some 10 years ago

post-7713-0-52469200-1447774072_thumb.jpg

The Three Sentinels

post-7713-0-18093900-1447774073_thumb.jpg

T. rex?

Cheers.

-Ken

P.S.: Going to go add "Planes, Trains and Automobiles" to my Netflix queue so I can watch it next week when I'm in Chicago for Thanksgiving.

That is a pretty amazing coincidence, Ken.

My favorite MOvie geographical oops also involves the Moab area... in "Thelma and Louise" when they are running away formtheir troubles, from Texas, they aim for Mexico, and in the finalscenes they are in the red rock canyon of Moab... As Bugs Bunny once famously said... "I should taken a left at Albequeerque"

And don't get me started about kookooburra calls in the South Ameircan jungle scenes of Indiana Jones...

Here the movie is on right now and I tuned in just in time to see (part of) the Braidwood Inn scene... Is that pile of dirt one of the mine tailing piles?

That movie was shot all over this area, some areas down the street from my home. A lot of the highway scenes are on Rt.12 near my house. They also shot in Woodstock IL which is 15mins from my home (the same town my favorite movie was shot in, Groundhogs Day).

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

There was a Clint Eastwood movie filmed in Alberta in the late 80s 'Unforgiven'...some of the scenes shot on a friend's ranch that borders on Dinosaur Provincial Park. Quite the panorama. We took two of the crew members out fossil hunting with us.

The odd thing there was some other movie or show ' somebody Texas Ranger' than came and shot scenes from the same viewpoint. No fences, wires, etc. Alberta badlands became Texas.

My friend boarded and took care of all the horses for that one and most for 'Unforgiven'.

Another film, Dr Zivago, had scenes (suppose to be Russia in winter) on trains winding through the Nearby Canadian Rockies. In one scene I can pick out my favourite graptolites collecting locale.

Edited by Ridgehiker