Fossils around Singapore

edupaleos

Hello all,

I will be in Singapore from December to end January. And I cannot bring my fossils with me... T.T

Does anyone know if there are fossil sites around Singapore? Malaysia? Indonesia? I know there are some finds in Indonesia (Java) but would be great to have more precise information (papers, etc) or people from the area.

Any info will be much appreciated.

Thanks!!

Edu

Hello, welcome to Singapore!

We do not have any active fossil sites anymore, unfortunately. The Singapore Fossil Collectors have checked areas that has sedimentary rocks, but have yet to find any viable fossils other than worm burrow traces on the island of Sentosa.

Malaysia has fossils, and there were at least two discoveries of dinosaur teeth there that made the news; I cannot give you more info beyond that.

Central Java is where you'd want to look. Sangiran is one of the most important archaeological sites in the world, and by Solo River you would find Pleistocene to Holocene fossils including the Stegodon, tigers, crocodiles, lobsters etc.

When you are in Singapore, drop me a pm. We can show you some of the fossil shops around here :)

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

• 2 years later...
On 18/11/2015 at 7:39 AM, -Andy- said:

Hello, welcome to Singapore!

We do not have any active fossil sites anymore, unfortunately. The Singapore Fossil Collectors have checked areas that has sedimentary rocks, but have yet to find any viable fossils other than worm burrow traces on the island of Sentosa.

Malaysia has fossils, and there were at least two discoveries of dinosaur teeth there that made the news; I cannot give you more info beyond that.

Central Java is where you'd want to look. Sangiran is one of the most important archaeological sites in the world, and by Solo River you would find Pleistocene to Holocene fossils including the Stegodon, tigers, crocodiles, lobsters etc.

When you are in Singapore, drop me a pm. We can show you some of the fossil shops around here :)

Pls tell me where Singapore's fossil shops are! I must go to expand my minute collection xD

"The first fossil you find will always have a special place in your heart. You will hold it dear to you, as it is the beginning of a pathway of adventure and discovery." - Nathan Tan @Ammonight

Hello, these days there are fewer fossil shops in Singapore unfortunately. You could check out Mr Lee's at the basement of People's Park Centre, or browse one of the numerous mineral shops along Race Course Road, or go to Kinokuniya at Takashimaya (though they are often overpriced). Else, you could also message any member of the Singapore Fossil Collectors. We often trade and sell fossils to one another.

Are you coming to Singapore for a holiday?

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

1 hour ago, -Andy- said:

Hello, these days there are fewer fossil shops in Singapore unfortunately. You could check out Mr Lee's at the basement of People's Park Centre, or browse one of the numerous mineral shops along Race Course Road, or go to Kinokuniya at Takashimaya (though they are often overpriced). Else, you could also message any member of the Singapore Fossil Collectors. We often trade and sell fossils to one another.

Are you coming to Singapore for a holiday?

no, i'm a PR of SG, that's why I didn't put SG as my location 

"The first fossil you find will always have a special place in your heart. You will hold it dear to you, as it is the beginning of a pathway of adventure and discovery." - Nathan Tan @Ammonight

3 hours ago, Ammonight said:

no, i'm a PR of SG, that's why I didn't put SG as my location 

We should meet up then! I will bring you to some shops.

Have you joined Singapore Fossils Collector FB group?

On 1/27/2018 at 9:43 PM, -Andy- said:

We should meet up then! I will bring you to some shops.

Have you joined Singapore Fossils Collector FB group?

Oh yes I am in that group 

3 hours ago, Ammonight said:

Oh yes I am in that group 

Awesome! What's your FB name? We usually have house visits in June and Dec, and sometimes during Chinese New Year period.

Archived