Is this Trilobite real?

JarrodB

I received a huge Trilobite like this as a gift many years ago. I know the matrix looks fake on these but are the Trilobites normally real?

post-19191-0-81769000-1447852595_thumb.jpg

Edited by JarrodB

Cambropallas like this are often faked. I think this one is at least 50% fake. There are some areas in the middle that seem to have a little more detail. So that might be real. but it's definitely been "enhanced" at the least.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

I found a pic of the actual one I have. I'm pretty sure it's not legit.

post-19191-0-57506500-1447854988_thumb.jpeg

JarrobB, you say the second image is the picture of the one you actually own? Can you get us a better picture or it?

I have a question for all: The first image looks almost too perfect to be real, while the second image almost looks like several non fitting pieces were cobbled together. Is there more merit is something that looks less than perfect, or are these just two different approaches to faking fossils?

I guess I'm essentially asking what an authentic Cambropallas Trilobite looks like for future reference.

Meshebe, these look different because they're 2 different species, The first one being Cambropallas (andalusiana). The second photo looks like Paradoxides. And I agree with the rest, usually mostly fake. But if you want a really big, fairly cheap bug, not a bad way to go.

• I found this Informative 1