hunting near Branson?

garyc

I'm taking my wife and son to Branson in March for spring break. Just wondering if there are any hunting opportunities nearby. We'd be interested in anything from pleistocene material to trilobites to projectile points. Thanks!

I think he means Missouri. There is a big ole vacation hub there.

The Branson/Springfield area is in the middle of the Mississippian Burlington Formation. Lots of crinoids. Hopefully someone more local can direct you to some specific sites.

There is a very neat cave with fossils (no collecting) near Springfield that you might want to check out. http://www.riverbluffcave.com/

I know of 17 states with a city named Branson. Could you be more specific?

I did post this under the heading of "Missouri". I figured I'd check with the locals....

Thanks Xi, I checked that link, but it says it's not open to the public.

Edited by garyc

Some of us get here from the "View New Content" button so we bypass the actual area the posts are in. I had no idea this was in the Missouri section.

Branson is near Springfield, MO. There is a guide book for Interstate 44 that lists the geology with mile markers. You should also swing by Bass Pro Shop, it is the original and well worth a visit.

Brent Ashcraft

• 2 years later...
On ‎11‎/‎18‎/‎2015 at 8:20 PM, ashcraft said:

Branson is near Springfield, MO. There is a guide book for Interstate 44 that lists the geology with mile markers. You should also swing by Bass Pro Shop, it is the original and well worth a visit.

Brent Ashcraft

Ashcraft,  Did you make it to Branson and did you find any local places?  I am taking the grandkids there soon.  They like exploring the woods and creeks.  And Bass Pro is a great stopping place.

No, I have never hunted there.  Look up the River Bluff Cave.  I have never been to it, but have heard good things.

Brent Ashcraft