JarrodB

I recently found this cluster of Exogyra at the North Sulphur River Texas. I would like to clean it up some so I could see them all and display it. What's the best way for a beginner to prep a piece like this? Sorry for the poor quality photo.

post-19191-0-66669700-1447868057_thumb.jpg

Edited by JarrodB

Start by soaking the whole thing in a bucket of soapy water. I like Simple Green. After a day or so, take it out and give it a good scrubbing with a toothbrush. Then repeat the process until you can't remove any of the sediment with the brush.

Short of a full on prep job, this will probably yeild some good results. The light brown sediment from the Sulphur usually has a softish outer layer that responds well to this process.

Start by soaking the whole thing in a bucket of soapy water. I like Simple Green. After a day or so, take it out and give it a good scrubbing with a toothbrush. Then repeat the process until you can't remove any of the sediment with the brush.

Short of a full on prep job, this will probably yeild some good results. The light brown sediment from the Sulphur usually has a softish outer layer that responds well to this process.

Thanks Kris I will try that when I get home from offshore.