Knightia Fossil Fish

Meshebe

Greetings! I found this the other day. They just don't look right to me. They're awfully dark, and seem to have eyes even. I'm not thinking of buying, just testing my judgement. Real of Fake? Unfortunately this is the only photo I have.

post-20018-0-05813500-1447872903_thumb.jpg

I don't think they are "fake" in the sense that they are not Green River fossil fish, Knightia. However, from the photos my eye perceives certain "abnormalities" of shape. It looks (as best as can be seen in a photo); as if they have been painted and the artist didn't stay within the lines! These are common fossils you could find much better examples for sale.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

Horrible paint jobs! :(:wacko::shake head:

There are much better specimens to be had, that aren't painted over.

Avoid the ones with the arrow straight "fins" (painted on) and go for the ones with squiggly looking fins.

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

My dad actually just handed me one of these. Looks like it came from the same place. The texture of the 'rock' is very similar, but it's actually plaster or resin. I'll take some pictures when there's a little more light. I'm using a temporary phone right now that has no flash. But the sides are very smooth. It was given to him, so at least he didn't lose anything.

My dad actually just handed me one of these. Looks like it came from the same place. The texture of the 'rock' is very similar, but it's actually plaster or resin. I'll take some pictures when there's a little more light. I'm using a temporary phone right now that has no flash. But the sides are very smooth. It was given to him, so at least he didn't lose anything.

Hi, JadeDragon, it would be very unusual for someone to go to the trouble (and expense) of reproducing these very common (but intriguing) fossils. Looking at the edge of your piece can you see any "layers" (10X magnification may help). If you wish, you could flick the edge on the backside with a needle and see if a "flake" pops off. Plaster or resin will not behave in that manner. What I'm trying to say; I would be surprised if your piece was not a genuine Green River fish (if it is like the ones pictured). Those are fossils (albeit doctored) as best as can be determined from a photo.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

The fact that the sides is smooth are no indication of plaster.

They use rock saws to cut this relatively soft shale, which leaves very smooth sides.

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Actually, I just popped back to say I'd taken a closer look and now wasn't so sure that it was plaster all the way down. I noticed some circular marks and wondered if someone had scraped something over the edges to smooth them out, but a saw would probably do it. I just wouldn't have expected it to be so smooth, so good to know, thanks. :)

I agree 100% with snolly. No one would go through the trouble of making these out plaster. I have collected a lot of these, ansd sawed many to make the rock square. Yes, these are painted (two thumbs down) but yes they are real. Green River fish often have a dark eye stain.

Archived