My Jurassic Park - Edmontosaurus annectens

Troodon

Going off what Andy said, have you ever seen Antarctica dinosaur fossils in private hands?

No, but they are out there.

Edit: I would be clueless in how one would authenticate it

Edited by Troodon

No, but they are out there.

Edit: I would be clueless in how one would authenticate it

Silly Troodon. The frostbite would authenticate it!

Going off what Andy said, have you ever seen Antarctica dinosaur fossils in private hands?

Is any of Antarctica privately owned? If it's all governmental/shared land, then there shouldn't be any legitimate private fossils. The material is rare in museums, anyway, since it's so challenging and expensive to collect there.

Is any of Antarctica privately owned? If it's all governmental/shared land, then there shouldn't be any legitimate private fossils. The material is rare in museums, anyway, since it's so challenging and expensive to collect there.

Agree completely

As far as I know... Antarctica is owned by the whole world. No country or person can own it I think. Same with space and other planets.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

Antarctica-last I heard-does have some claims by different countries (mostly Australia), but the claims aren't internationally recognized.

"Let us therefore follow after the things which make for peace, and things wherewith one may edify another."
-Romans 14:19

Does anyone know where the original holotype of Cryolophosaurus ended up? I know there's a few casts scattered around the world but not sure where the original specimen ended up. For a continent's only named dinosaur I'm aware of its a pretty eyecatching and formidable looking beastie.

Sorry for you Aussies out there but your dinos just don't have the the same Wow factor!

Anyway back to the Edmos stunning collection of material, as to be expected. There sure were a lot of them in the cretacious it seems.

I think the most famous , or at least recognised Hadrosaur must be Parasaurolophus but I've never seen any fossil from this dinosaur on the market, perhaps because its just found in Canada. With Hadrosaurs though, especially the teeth, I suppose individual genus's are quite hard to distinguish.

Does anyone know where the original holotype of Cryolophosaurus ended up? I know there's a few casts scattered around the world but not sure where the original specimen ended up. For a continent's only named dinosaur I'm aware of its a pretty eyecatching and formidable looking beastie.

Sorry for you Aussies out there but your dinos just don't have the the same Wow factor!

Anyway back to the Edmos stunning collection of material, as to be expected. There sure were a lot of them in the cretacious it seems.

I think the most famous , or at least recognised Hadrosaur must be Parasaurolophus but I've never seen any fossil from this dinosaur on the market, perhaps because its just found in Canada. With Hadrosaurs though, especially the teeth, I suppose individual genus's are quite hard to distinguish.

While I was at the field museum here in Chicago, there was a partial skull. Not sure if it's the holotype but it didn't say it was a cast. All casts are labeled that are on display so I'm guessing it's a real piece. It's hard to make out the skull, but extremely cool to know what you're looking at!

Cryolophosuarus is with Bill Hammer, who collected and studied it... at... dang.. I can't remember the name of the college... Oooohh... Got it... Augustana in the quad cities on the Illinios/Iowa border.

• I found this Informative 1

Thanks, that must have been some exceptional palaeontology dig.

There's some great stories of pioneering dino hunters working inhospitable environments like Cope and Marsh during the Plains wars, the Gobi expeditions in Mongolia in the early 20th ,not to mention the Niger projects more recently which can't have been much of a picnic but a mountain in the middle of Antarctica must present its own unique challenges.

Have to confess I'm slightly disappointed the Cryo skeleton isn't in Troodon's dining room.........yet!

For a lack of a better word...Your collection is amasssssing

Tony
The Brooks Are Like A Box Of Chocolates,,,, You Never Know What You'll Find.

I Told You I Don't Have Alzheimer's.....I Have Sometimers. Some Times I Remember

And Some Times I Forget.... I Mostly Forget.

Have to confess I'm slightly disappointed the Cryo skeleton isn't in Troodon's dining room.........yet!

Don't worry it's on my to do list. :D

Thanks, that must have been some exceptional palaeontology dig.

There's some great stories of pioneering dino hunters working inhospitable environments like Cope and Marsh during the Plains wars, the Gobi expeditions in Mongolia in the early 20th ,not to mention the Niger projects more recently which can't have been much of a picnic but a mountain in the middle of Antarctica must present its own unique challenges.

Yes, the Crylophosaurus expedition was supposedly quite something. A lot of fossils from Antarctica come from the Antarcrtic Pennisula and Seymour Island... fairly close to Chile. Cryolophosaurus, as I understand came from a mountain range way down in the middle of the continent. Possibly one of the most difficult top get to p[aces on earth.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 10 months later...

There is a traveling exhibition called Ultimate Dinosaurs or something to that effect. I believe they have a cryolophosaurus skeleton, not sure if it is a cast...2014-summer-119.jpg

• 6 months later...

I'm a huge fan of BIG but think small is super cool and very uncommon and always happy to find or acquire infant material.  Here is my smallest Edmontosaurus dentary tooth ironically collected in a channel deposit not the Hadro bone bed I frequent.  Tooth is very complete and partially rooted.  

Tooth3.thumb.jpg.e7ae6c757097fcf40053802bd513c7f8.jpg

• I found this Informative 3
  • Enjoyed 1

3 minutes ago, JohnBrewer said:

Every time I look at your collections I :drool:

Thanks John and everytime I look at them I always leave smiling :D

• I found this Informative 1