My Jurassic Park - Edmontosaurus annectens

Troodon

7 hours ago, Troodon said:

small is super cool and very uncommon and always happy to find or acquire infant material.

That is a good addition for You collection!

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

• 1 month later...

Pulled this out on my fall digging trip and its been at the prep person for minor crackfill since to hazardous to ship.  Dealer friend of my in Hill City hand delivered to the show.

Very complete Caudal Vertebra from an Edmontosaurus.  Adult and great detail.

HadroVert1.thumb.jpg.e42014e6f3ad5b5ff9071ecd938472e3.jpg

• I found this Informative 4

8 minutes ago, Bone guy said:

I want a skull......will you take a 20 for it? :)

Need to consider you offer...

• 1 year later...

Skull elements are very common in our bonebed but I rarely take photos.  Here is one from lasts years dig its about 6" wide.

EdmontoSkull1.thumb.jpg.9dc4cd168f505fe7584d6a7eb1f6b1ea.jpg

Tooth Battery

EdmontoTooth1.thumb.jpg.cd28ae04b081b4eba767305dd66aad95.jpg

Cutie little vert

HadroVert2.thumb.jpg.2d23f754fe9e76a379d73a3155a4fd60.jpg

Metacarpal 

HadroMetaC1.thumb.jpg.c8fa722510425b7830ec43668de63f15.jpg

Foot Elements 

HadroFoot.thumb.jpg.0c6feec28c1cd26f14c320ad0e951396.jpg

Lots more that need photos taken

• I found this Informative 3

• 2 weeks later...

Great labelling. These would be helpful for anyone looking to identify similar fossils.

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

1 hour ago, -Andy- said:

Great labelling. These would be helpful for anyone looking to identify similar fossils.

Thanks and agree very useful.

• 1 year later...

Here is a composite right hand I put together with my finds over many years of collecting.  Hadrosaur hands are something else and very hard to composite with all different bones..  I will get it mounted at some point when I happy with it.

Updated: 10/25/20 with 2 bones from recent trip almost there

20201124_135853.thumb.jpg.4ded58694c2c6b82a35a295f75c04a88.jpg

42 cm long

• I found this Informative 9

On 11/19/2015 at 4:18 PM, Troodon said:

My next addition to "My Jurassic Park" is with a single species the Hadrosaur: Edmontosaurus annectens. In the late Cretaceous Edmontosaurus was one of the largest and very last Hadrosaurs to exist. It roamed the western North America 66 million years ago and remains are found in its Maastrichtian deposits. Herds of these animals must have been awesome to watch because they were about the size T-rex around 40 ft (12m) long and a great food source for them.

All my material was collected from the Hell Creek and Lance Formations. I refer to only one Hadrosaurs species in these deposits based on the 2011 results of a study I noted in the attached post.

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/56733-hadrosaurids-did-you-know/

Although not has sexy as a theropod teeth Hadrosaur teeth functionally are very impressive.

In a 2012 study researchers showed that Hadrosaurs evolved extremely sophisticated teeth, more sophisticated than modern mammalian herbivores such as bison, horses and elephants. The study demonstrated that unlike most mammalian molars and pre-molars which are composed of four major tissues the duck-bills evolved a six tissue dental composition which improved the teeth’s ability to grind up food. Hadrosaurs have been identified as “walking pulp mills“ or "Cows of the Cretaceous" and researchers have declared the duck-billed teeth lined jaws as one of the most sophisticated grazing and grinding mechanisms ever to evolve in terrestrial mega herbivores. Their teeth are more complex and better adapted to grinding than most of the large plant-eating mammals found today.

A front view of the skull you can see how the tooth batteries are positioned and a cross section of a tooth

post-10935-0-08456700-1447966581_thumb.jpgpost-10935-0-68025600-1447966578_thumb.jpg

One of the crown jewel of my collection is one of the finest Edmontosaurs sub-adult skull in captivity at 44" :D (1.1m) long. Its complete with a partial cervical column and it's preservation is awesome. Still in the field jacket I have yet to decide if I'm going to get it prepped it or just leave it alone

post-10935-0-79567300-1447966593_thumb.jpgpost-10935-0-49546600-1447966588_thumb.jpg

A great view of the dentition comes from one of the most interesting specimens I have, an upper and lower jaw section that are fused together.

Front Side view

post-10935-0-91367400-1447966894_thumb.jpgpost-10935-0-92761200-1447966906_thumb.jpg

I have a few maxilla's in my collection. My favorites are a couple of Juvenile/Baby ones, both are 6" long. An adult specimen can be 17" long.

post-10935-0-55344700-1447967340_thumb.jpg

Hadrosaurs have always had a very special place in my heart. My very first dinosaur toy came out of a Nabisco cereal box when I was a kid. It was called Trachodon which is nomen dubium now.

• 1 month later...

Juvenile material is pretty rare these jaws can reach over 3 feet (110 cm)

Dentary2A.thumb.jpg.285430d5cad1a70ce2b06fa458cf6211.jpg

Distal end of the ascending ramus has been restored

A couple of very distal caudal vertebrae

Vertebrae.thumb.jpg.8422649be4044f5a04958cab2e2893cc.jpg

• I found this Informative 7
  • Enjoyed 1

Fantastic collection and I alway like your image layouts . As you seen I have a few bits of Hadrosaur that I am pretty pleased about. My question was Hadrosaurs the most common dinosaur to be found in Hell Creek?

cheers Bobby 

19 minutes ago, Bobby Rico said:

Fantastic collection and I alway like your image layouts . As you seen I have a few bits of Hadrosaur that I am pretty pleased about. My question was Hadrosaurs the most common dinosaur to be found in Hell Creek?

cheers Bobby 

Thanks but No, ceratopsian are by far number 1.  

This is a census that Walter Stein did recently and it included those in private collections (including mine)

Museums and Universities USA

Capturelll.thumb.JPG.6ca597817e83c175093157b228453e8b.JPG

All Groups

Captureiiii.thumb.JPG.1b8a095f3600a0f9c56ea6ae8e14b434.JPG

TAKING COUNT: A Census of Dinosaur Fossils Recovered From the Hell Creek and Lance Formations (Maastrichtian).

Walter W. Stein- President, PaleoAdventures

• I found this Informative 7

3 hours ago, Troodon said:

TAKING COUNT: A Census of Dinosaur Fossils Recovered From the Hell Creek and Lance Formations (Maastrichtian).

Walter W. Stein- President, PaleoAdventures

Cheers that quite a majority  very interesting and nice to be part of that Census . 

On 10/18/2020 at 7:47 PM, Dracorex_hogwartsia said:

Hadrosaurs have always had a very special place in my heart. My very first dinosaur toy came out of a Nabisco cereal box when I was a kid. It was called Trachodon which is nomen dubium now.

There are several members that feel your way.  A herd of them some larger than a Trex must have been an extraordinary site and a noisy bunch :dinosmile:

• I found this Informative 1

• 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Edmontosaurus annectens

Jaw 22" (558 mm) jaw

Hell Creek Formation 

Harding County, SD

1018756842_Hadrojawlarge.jpg.45dbc361437b1aadb3ea909a62ac6225.jpg

Edmontosaurus annectens

Jugal 

Length: 13" (330 mm)

Same Locality

Jugle.jpg

• I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 6

• 2 months later...

This bone is a first for the site found this fall.  Good I had photos from the BHI to help support the ID.  

Carpal7.thumb.jpg.c2b9d8d7aed4490e907d0340f1c82eae.jpg

• I found this Informative 2
  • Enjoyed 2

Wow, I would never have ID'd that. Very nice (and I'm drooling as I scroll through your collection!)

"There is no shortage of fossils. There is only a shortage of paleontologists to study them." - Larry Martin

25 minutes ago, hadrosauridae said:

Wow, I would never have ID'd that. Very nice (and I'm drooling as I scroll through your collection!)

Thanks, I had a hunch came from the hand given the shape but could not find literature to support that.    Good that I take tons of photos.

At this point, I feel you could build a whole dinosaur with this material! :ighappy:

• I Agree 1