Pictures Of The Nsr, Tuesday Should Be Good Hunting.

mommabetts

Wow, bite marks so clear.

Hey if ya send that pic to Mike Polcyn at SMU he could surely ID it precisely.

Ok will do! When I saw that thing laying there I almost did a backflip! I should have taken an in situ pic,but I grabbed it so,so fast! :D

post-417-1239760825_thumb.jpg

Hey I think you are .....well.........perfectly right.It even has the same hole. Cool thanks.I sent an email to Mike @ SMU on the other piece .I'll post a reply if he contacts me.

WOW it looks like you did great!!!!!!!!! That is an awesome find. Wished I could have made it.

WOW it looks like you did great!!!!!!!!! That is an awesome find. Wished I could have made it.

Thanks L. missed ya out there.I ran into this lady named Sue that said all her girlfriends hunt there.They are all from Ladonia. It seems that there is this band of ladies that live up the street and they all hunt together usually. The locals all the books talk about!!! She said that most of the collectors there are after arrowheads ,but the river is pretty stingy when it come to them.Her gang mostly goes after fossils to sell...from what I gathered. With the supposed rain coming Thursday it looks like this weekend would be a good bet too.

Thanks L. missed ya out there.I ran into this lady named Sue that said all her girlfriends hunt there.They are all from Ladonia. It seems that there is this band of ladies that live up the street and they all hunt together usually. The locals all the books talk about!!! She said that most of the collectors there are after arrowheads ,but the river is pretty stingy when it come to them.Her gang mostly goes after fossils to sell...from what I gathered. With the supposed rain coming Thursday it looks like this weekend would be a good bet too.
Yes that is what I get from talking to them. I have met her also. They are always the first ones there. I don't think they actually collect them, they find them to sell mostly. Luckily they just mostly go to the bridges there and not to the ones further away or the ones that are harder to get to. They are pretty much always at the 2 there in Lodonia. Yes if it rains on Friday, the 34 bridge will be very busy this weekend. Might have to go to one of the others.

looks coracoidy

out on a limb

Way Too GOOOOOO, BARRY! of course, tracer is right; do you think he'd be joking?

That's a near complete mosasaur coracoid! The "hole" is the coracoid foramen. My guess (from afar) is Clidastes sp. (maybe Platecarpus) but definitely not Tylosaurus. Cool shark scavenging scars. :thumbsup:

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Way Too GOOOOOO, BARRY! of course, tracer is right; do you think he'd be joking?

Cool shark scavenging scars. :thumbsup:

Here are a few more on the same piece.The one with the arrow pointing to it looks like it skipped across the bone.

post-417-1239802468_thumb.jpg

Here is the reply from Mike at SMU

Barry

The first two images looke like fish.

This onepost-417-1239802944.jpg

Not sure which taxon.The other bone is a coracoid {part of the shoulder} and is probably Clidastes.It is a nice specimen and doesn't look like it traveled very far,so I would look around for more of the specimen near where you found it.

Thanks for the comments everyone!

Nice.

The rasp-like scars are sometimes attributed to Squalicorax sp. sharks. Gorden Bell was doing some recent work that involved mosasaur/shark interactions.

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Here is the reply from Mike at SMU

Barry

The first two images looke like fish.

This onepost-417-1239802944.jpg

Not sure which taxon.The other bone is a coracoid {part of the shoulder} and is probably Clidastes.It is a nice specimen and doesn't look like it traveled very far,so I would look around for more of the specimen near where you found it.

Thanks for the comments everyone!

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO when are you going to find the rest of it???????

Nice.

The rasp-like scars are sometimes attributed to Squalicorax sp. sharks. Gorden Bell was doing some recent work that involved mosasaur/shark interactions.

I'm sure the sharks were like our modern day Turkey buzzards.....cleaning up after the spoils!

I haven't read any of his work.I wonder if the two could have had a symbiotic relationship?

That would be cool!

Here is our critter.It seems that in the Smoky Hill Chalk in Kansas most specimens were 12ft or under.The article said that Clidastes was probably preyed upon by Tylosaurus .

post-417-1239807293_thumb.jpg

Barry! That is a GREAT find! And the bite marks make it even more interesting! Good job my friend!

That might just be the coolest NSR fossil I've seen; congrats!!!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

That might just be the coolest NSR fossil I've seen; congrats!!!

Gee thanks man! If the bone in question that you and I are talking about turns out to be Avian....it's yours :)

Great job Plisskin! B)

Why did I come back so soon? The last time I saw bite marks like that was.....well never mind. I want to see it up close when I come back.

Gee thanks man! If the bone in question that you and I are talking about turns out to be Avian....it's yours :)

That would be the second coolest NSR fossil I've ever seen!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Great job Plisskin! B)

The last time I saw bite marks like that was.....well never mind.

You will have to PM me that story!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

I'm sure the sharks were like our modern day Turkey buzzards.....cleaning up after the spoils!

I haven't read any of his work.I wonder if the two could have had a symbiotic relationship?

That would be cool!

Here is our critter.It seems that in the Smoky Hill Chalk in Kansas most specimens were 12ft or under.The article said that Clidastes was probably preyed upon by Tylosaurus .

post-417-1239807293_thumb.jpg

And if the sharks aren't like buzzards, well heck, WE ARE!!

Great find Barry, I'm going to have to drag my butt back up there to hunt with you again soon!

Speaking of which I'll be up around May 13 for a couple of days...

O

What is geology? "Rocks for Jocks!"

And if the sharks aren't like buzzards, well heck, WE ARE!!

Great find Barry, I'm going to have to drag my butt back up there to hunt with you again soon!

Speaking of which I'll be up around May 13 for a couple of days...

O

thanks and

Call me then if you still have my number.

I'm sure we can dig something up!

We are going Monday .

Still looking for that Skull !

Hunting fossils is fun , but discovering is better !

We are going Monday .

Still looking for that Skull !

Hope you have some good hunting Monday.It very well could be awesome for ya if we get the supposed rains Friday and Saturday.You can rest assured that I will be in the area this weekend or early in the week.Of course, rain willing!!!!

Archived