Anyone ever used a dental drill?

ElToro

My neighbour is a jeweller and has a proper dentists drill. Could this be used as an alternative to an air scribe? Anyone have any experience?

"That belongs in a museum!"

- Indiana Jones

Being a veterinarian by trade, it was only natural for me to take my dental drill to fossils that needed attention when I began this hobby a few years ago. Does it work? Definitely! Does it have drawbacks? Yes. The first drawback is that one burns through drill bits frequently. But thanks to my local dentist, I have more than an ample supply of used bits that she sterilizes for me. To show my appreciation, a pencil holder with etched lettering was created with my dental machine.post-12553-0-98087100-1448196104_thumb.jpg I do not think a dentist would likely turn you down for a request of their used drill bits. The second drawback is that a dental machine is NOT helpfully at removing a large amount of matrix. This still needs to be accomplished with an alternative technique. Thirdly, the machine is expensive, in the neighborhood of $6,000 for a new veterinary machine. It just plugs into any electrical socket and requires distilled water to keep the bit cooled. If a used machine could be found, go for it as these units seem to wear well. As for size of a veterinary dental unit, 38"h,28"l, 24"w, so very compact. It is on wheels so can be stored away when done.

Edited by minnbuckeye
  • I found this Informative 1

Thanks mate!I can ask my dentist for drill bits (I have a few friends with autoclaves, so could just sterilize myself) and just borrow the neighbors drill. I couldn't afford one myself. He thinks it will throw a lot of dust in the air tho.

- Indiana Jones

If the dentist will sterilize them for you, I would suggest avoiding handling dirty drill bits yourself. There is unfortunately a liability issue if unsanitary bits are released from their control. As for dust, Not an issue with a dental drill as it is cooled with a heavy mist of distilled water. Never have seen dust as I have worked.

• I found this Informative 1

Cool! Thanx again! I'm getting real excited about this drill! And I have plenty of local bivalves in sandstone-limestone matrix for practice. I didn't see the pic of the pencil holder last nite (bad connection) and its absolutely wonderful! I'm already thinking of engraving the practice name on the matrix of some sort of dino tooth (kids will love it! Help with the traumatic experience). U know, I actually have a vet mate who is helping me ID Cave Bear bones but never asking him about it. It didn't connect that he had a drill at all. Doubt he would let me play with it anyhow. PS. Vets rock! MDs can only fix one species!

- Indiana Jones