11/21/15: 8 hours in the n sulphur river - ne texas

John S.

The stars aligned and was able to spend some quality time in the Sulphur yesterday. Cold and winds 30-40 but it's always fun. I don't go very often but when I do I hike 6-8 hours straight. Started off very slow, only finding a few fragments in the first 3 hours. I decided to take a chance and hit an area that normally doesn't produce much. This time it paid off, I found almost everything there. I was surprised to see quite a few folks and footprints out there. Can't wait to go back.

post-13580-0-51403200-1448219244_thumb.jpg

post-13580-0-58979600-1448219258_thumb.jpg

post-13580-0-35128900-1448219320_thumb.jpg

North Central Texas

Eagle Ford Group / Ozan Formation

This is a chunk of the red bed with bone embedded, looks like Mosasour. A fish tooth, and a yet to be determined vertebra(some are saying mammal).

post-13580-0-74144200-1448219477_thumb.jpg

post-13580-0-15658300-1448219492_thumb.jpg

post-13580-0-94762200-1448219512_thumb.jpg

North Central Texas

Found one unfinished Native American point, and one finished dart point/tool. I actually left the artifact and had to go back and find it again. Took 30 minutes but got it!

post-13580-0-96081200-1448219985_thumb.jpg

post-13580-0-58769500-1448220049_thumb.jpg

North Central Texas

Nice haul! I was thinking about going out again next weekend, but the forecast is for rain starting on Wednesday & going through the entire weekend.

Thanks, ya timing is everything for those who can't go frequently. Hope you get over there soon.

North Central Texas

Me too. The mud in my usual spot was really discouraging last time. 10 minutes trying to work both feet out of it gets tiring fast.

That sounds rough. Maybe an extra week or two will help.

North Central Texas

The stars aligned and was able to spend some quality time in the Sulphur yesterday. Cold and winds 30-40 but it's always fun. I don't go very often but when I do I hike 6-8 hours straight. Started off very slow, only finding a few fragments in the first 3 hours. I decided to take a chance and hit an area that normally doesn't produce much. This time it paid off, I found almost everything there. I was surprised to see quite a few folks and footprints out there. Can't wait to go back.

Nice haul John.

To me the mammal vert is the must significent because true fossil mammal material is few and far between in the Sulphur. Looks like Llama type animal vert but more pic's different angles would be needed, that would be a nice find indeed

Tom

• I found this Informative 1

Grow Old Kicking And Screaming !!
"Don't Tread On Me"

This is a chunk of the red bed with bone embedded, looks like Mosasour. A fish tooth, and a yet to be determined vertebra(some are saying mammal).

John, is there anyway to tell what fish that tooth is from?

The fish tooth, would need more pictures especially the side view but believe it is from Protosphyraena the Cretaceous swordfish

Tom

post-3940-0-54394200-1448236571_thumb.jpg Found in the Sulphur

post-3940-0-08357900-1448236605_thumb.jpgExample of the skull from Oceans of Kansas

"Don't Tread On Me"

Good call Tom I was unsure.

Any time my friend

Tom

"Don't Tread On Me"

JohnS, your vert is from a Llama type animal, not turtle

Tom

post-3940-0-99821600-1448371228_thumb.jpg post-3940-0-05222600-1448371228_thumb.jpg

"Don't Tread On Me"

Nice work! I must do something different to get better quality. I have found lots of jaw fragments lately, but nothing notable. Got one a few days ago that had another little replacement tooth.

post-14723-0-95279900-1448371409_thumb.jpg

Nice piece Joe! That's one thing I have bad luck on. I'd like to find more jaw pieces with teeth.

North Central Texas

I have three now with perfect teeth in them. I also have 7 or 8 jaw sections with just roots, but they don't look like much. You just usually find some very nice condition verts that display nicely. I guess it is where I hunt and I find that interresting in itself. I found a jaw section a year ago with four perfect theeth in in the red bed. I thought it was fish so I decided I woudl prep that out myself with primitive methods. I ended up breaking off all four teeth by the end and I regret that decision. The only thing that makes me feel better is that it was very small. Still looking for that next great find!