billheim

Rotating a fossil in a photo

billheim

Has anyone tried to take a 3D photograph of a fossil that you can rotate in all directions when displayed on a website?

If so, what software did you used?
What do you recommend for me? I want something inexpensive but am willing to put in the effort to make it work the way it should.
I have a background in photography and 3D but not VR and this something I want to exploit. I want to take a bunch of photos of a fossil from all angles and stitch them into something the website visitor can manipulate as holding it in his/her hand.

The software I see when I do a web search don't list prices but want me to request a quote.

Thanks!

Bill

Bullsnake

Snolly...beat me to it!

Fossildude19

Forum member Evgeny Kotelevsky has some stunning pictures of Sponges from Russia, using the spinning fossil format.

gallery_11087_1603_4973542.gif

ANOTHER LINK

Edited by Fossildude19

ZiggieCie

The software is free and listed in the articles.

LordTrilobite

Yes the link Snolly and Bullsnake provided is a great tutorial on getting into Photogrammetry. It's quite easy to learn and with some practice can provide fantastic results.

This was made using that same technique. Sketchfab is a great website to showcase scans such as this one.

billheim

Thanks everyone. I had searched on "3D" in the fossil forum and got no hits so I asked.
it looks like the rotations prepared by Cris and LordTrilobite don't work for me when imbedded in the Forum topic. They worked great when I viewed them from Sketchfab.com.

These rederings are amazing. You two did a great job.
Thanks particularly to Cris for the excellent explanation.

Bill

Fossil Claw

I tried this yesterday and can't seem to get a detailed enough rendering. I used 70 picures. I wonder if I need better or more colorful "grid" like Chris used.

I will have to wait for the next harbor frieght ad to arrive. It looked like that is what Chris used.

LordTrilobite

After having made 27 scans with this technique so far. I can tell you that some specimens will required a colourful "grid" for reference while others may not need them. It all depends on the shape and details of the object. If the object you are trying to scan has a very unique and identifiable shape from all angles, it is likely that you won't need any type of reference. In which case you should blank out the background. I find that black cardboard can work wonders with minimal artefacting. But if the objecct is less distinctive you will need some kind of reference to keep track of the rotation.

The most important thing is to have your photos be well lit and above all in focus.

To take this skull as an example. Since this object is so huge, I used a large beige cloth so I had a clean background. I scanned the skull and jaw separately. With the background being mostly clean I put the camera on a stand I rotated the skull on the spot rather than the camera. For the skull part I had the skull right side up and made 2 full circles, one from a low angle and one from a high angle. I then flipped the skull and di 2 more rounds for the underside. I made these photos into 2 sets. One for the upside and one of the under side to generate 2 point clouds.

For the lower jaw I repeated this same process. one set for the upside, and one set for the underside.

For just the skull I think I used around 120 to 150 photos per set. But this is a very complex shape so I needed more photos. For like a tooth, which is a much simpler object, 50 photos might be enough.

And if you can't see the 3D models in the forum you might have an outdated browser as the viewer requires HTML5 I think.

Edited by LordTrilobite

Fossil Claw

Thanks for the tips. I will try the instead if the grid