Tennessees Pride

Shells being recovered in other states in the Coffee Sand, Tennessee is the exception. Leaching of the sediments at a later time is thought to have been the general factor. Strangely as it seems, here iron has wholly replaced some unknown shells. My phone camera not being that good, it's difficult to determine in the pics, but very detailed surfaces of the outside of the shells can be saw w/ the naked eye. Also present on the specimen of sandstone appear to be perhaps some type of trackway(?). These shells truely are the first shells discovered in the Coffee Sand of Tennessee that I am aware of. The specimen weighs about 80 pd., so it was a hard recovery, but it's significance excellent. I hope some can I.D. these Campanian Cretaceous shells.

post-14571-0-98299700-1448564627_thumb.jpg

post-14571-0-71223100-1448564886_thumb.jpg

--- Joshua

tennesseespride@gmail.com

I can count 25 of them that have the outside surfaces of their shells exposed

post-14571-0-93122100-1448567331_thumb.jpg

--- Joshua

Pics showing what I thought might be some strange ichnofossil trackways. They remind me of little squiggly lines.

post-14571-0-35212300-1448568010_thumb.jpg

post-14571-0-41690000-1448568219_thumb.jpg

--- Joshua

Very cool! I like how they look.

Congratulations :)

"Faith is to believe what you do not see; the reward of this faith is to see what you believe" - Saint Augustine

"Those who can not see past their own nose deserve our pity more than anything else."

nice to hear from you

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

Hey Julianna, Herb, & jcbshark,yall sure made me smile. :D It's nice to be remembered. :)

--- Joshua

ZiggieCie, thanks man! I'll try to not take so long next time.

--- Joshua

I have found ghost shrimp burrows in the Coffee Sand of Tennessee. They aren't in the best condition, but are still preserved in 3D.

• 2 months later...

Here I need to post a correction. I've been able to find a single passing reference to 1 report of mullusc cast and molds. Have screenshot the reference to be read. From Stratigraphy Of The Outcropping Upper Cretaceous, Paleocene, And Lower Eocene In Western Tennessee (Including Descriptions Of Younger Fluvial Deposits). By Ernest E. Russell and William S. Parks.

As shown, information was obtained through personal communication in 1959 regarding the preservation...this reference seems to leave much room for speculation. It doesn't specifically state who recovered the material, how much was recovered, or the exact whereabouts of the examined (and poorly described) specimens. Because this was inserted into the manuscript as an oral communication with no suggestion of repositment, I would certainly speculate the material to be lost...if ever even considered for repositment. This is a tragic circumstance! One rational way to perhaps understand the situation would be maybe back then casts or molds in Tennessee CS weren't judged worthy of repositment considering the large numbers of shell material of the Mississippi CS?....if true, that may have been a fatal error, as it's highly likely the CS there and here represent different environmental boundaries. Without any material from McNairy co.,TN. to inspect it's undetermined.

Therefore, these shells from the Coffee Sand formation in my collection represent the only material that could presently be described in Tennessee. They're simply the only ones to officially exist, that I'm aware of! The environmental boundary from which they were recovered was extremely near shore, and as I'm not a good invertebrate paleontologist, I haven't determined if they are recorded in literature yet. Haven't been able to find an exact match even in Bruce Wade's historic report on the Coon Creek formation. (!) Strange. I'll soon post a close-up of one in the Fossil I.D. section.

post-14571-0-71465900-1454348578_thumb.jpg

--- Joshua

I have found ghost shrimp burrows in the Coffee Sand of Tennessee. They aren't in the best condition, but are still preserved in 3D.

I would be interested in viewing your CS burrows.

--- Joshua

Archived