Capitola Hunt

FossilForKids

I went to the quaint coastal town of Capitol this morning to catch a very low tide. Capitola is a shell lovers dream. My goal was to take pictures of some whale material embedded in the hard rock. Forget about taking it out! I have seen several skulls there but today sand had them covered. The following pictures is of what I found. See if you can guess what they are.

John

post-1292-1239675715_thumb.jpg

post-1292-1239676205_thumb.jpg

If only my teeth are so prized a million years from now!

I went to the quaint coastal town of Capitol this morning to catch a very low tide. Capitola is a shell lovers dream. My goal was to take pictures of some whale material embedded in the hard rock. Forget about taking it out! I have seen several skulls there but today sand had them covered. The following pictures is of what I found. See if you can guess what they are.

John

Onr More!

post-1292-1239676287_thumb.jpg

My guess, some type of bones stuck in rock. :P

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'

My guess, some type of bones stuck in rock. :P

Now why didn't I think of that!

Now why didn't I think of that!

I was asking myself the same question. Geesh, how could you miss the obvious like that. :D

Wish me luck Im off to hunt!!

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'

Hmm, I didn't think that the fossils would be that obvious at Capitola. Maybe a photograpy trip is in order perhaps......must check the tidebook.

Or should I bring a generator and chisel that puppy out :angry:

Anything else of interest?

Kevin Goto, Lafayette,CA.

I guess for me its kind of cheating (since this is part of my Master's Thesis field area, and I know it like the back of my hand; I visit this locality over two dozen times a year):

Photo 1 - baleen whale jaw, likely a Balaenopterid.

Photo 2 - baleen whale vertebra and ribs.

Photo 3 - god knows. That might be a new boulder; that is a weird bone, but it may be part of a skull.

Bobby

I guess for me its kind of cheating (since this is part of my Master's Thesis field area, and I know it like the back of my hand; I visit this locality over two dozen times a year):

Photo 1 - baleen whale jaw, likely a Balaenopterid.

Photo 2 - baleen whale vertebra and ribs.

Photo 3 - god knows. That might be a new boulder; that is a weird bone, but it may be part of a skull.

Bobby

Hi Bobby. The boulder was pretty far away from the cliff toward the water and the bone faced the water. In any thing but a very low tide would you see it. When I look and modern skulls the mandibular socket when it's closed looks like the circular bone and the long thin bone might be a lower mandible.

John

Archived