id

Vicky

Hi-I was wondering if anyone could id the photo attached?I thought it was a molluscs. I was also wondering if it seems significant? i found it in our backyard...in a natural stone step. thanks.

post-20166-0-29061300-1448675439_thumb.jpg

Using the Gill-Over-The-Ground plant as a scale, and seeing the lack of septa in the critter, I think it is a very large gastropod. It could also be a coiled cephalopod which septa did not preserve.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

If it is from Columbus, probably a gastropod

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

Thanks,we just bought house,not sure when or where stones came from, house built in 1976. There are other fossils,like shells. Do you think I should contact anyone,or is the fossil not significant? Thanks!

They are significant in that they kindle your sense of wonder. :)

• I found this Informative 1

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Vicky, Welcome to the forum! Just hopped out of bed and dressed in my Buckeye gear in anticipation of the game today with that team up north!! OH! I am just an amateur collector of 2 years so my insight is NOT from a professional point of view. Does Columbus have rocks that contain Maclurites? The counter clockwise spiral, it's apparent flatness if real, and it's size bring it up as a possibility. We will see what the experts say.

Yes, all of Ohio shuts down for this game,...go OSU!

There's nothing more amazing than fossils! So I am on cloud 9 here.Any advice appreciated, I guess I mainly want to do the right thing on what to do with it. Also I questioning where rocks in backyard came from. If house built in 1976,would builders buy natural stones from other states? I guess possible. There are more fossils and will post if they look interesting. Raining all day,so will need to do later.

If the rocks with other fossils are of the same matrix that could help a lot in pinning this thing down, or at least getting much closer. Take a few pictures of those as well. And something for scale in each will help.

The general age of rocks in and around Columbus would rule out ammonites but not other types of coiled nautiloids. A large gastropod would be rather interesting as well.

Not clear if this is a naturally occurring outcrop in your yard or placed there by man, but, generally speaking, landscaping stone is usually locally sourced. If this is a stepping stone or stair tread it is probably also a hard rock and not in danger of weathering away too quickly.

Thanks again for all the imput...I'm sure these finds are small potatoes to most...but I am truly amazed this is in our backyard, and we've been here for a year and 1/2 and never noticed before. Anyhow, I think there are two sets of stone paths...those going west and another set going east (photos attached). The ones going east are the ones with fossils in them...many shells and more gastropods. There are many rocks that lead to our back gate. I need to dig each one up and photograph it. I have 3 year old twins....so this discovery will take time on my part. I will try to do a rock every day or 2, if the ground does not freeze.

So, I attached more photos to give you a better idea, and the photo close up of 2 rocks shows where the path divides, and you can see how they seem different. Photo of rock 10, does not reveal well, but it looks like a horn curved...guess could be another gastropod inner spiral??

Thanks again everyone.

post-20166-0-85462400-1448811857_thumb.jpg

post-20166-0-75792000-1448811864_thumb.jpg

post-20166-0-14478600-1448811872_thumb.jpg

post-20166-0-03796200-1448811878_thumb.jpg

post-20166-0-37002300-1448811884_thumb.jpg

post-20166-0-84939500-1448811897_thumb.jpg

post-20166-0-22781300-1448811904_thumb.jpg

post-20166-0-23681000-1448811910_thumb.jpg

post-20166-0-06961100-1448811917_thumb.jpg

ok, I guess I was wrong, all the stones have fossils. There are around 67 in all. I think I found another gastropod, and the skeleton of another species. Does anyone want to take a stab at identifying it...thanks.

post-20166-0-78182800-1448830625_thumb.jpg

post-20166-0-81782100-1448830631_thumb.jpg