Yet More Mosasaur hoffmanni Teeth- Are they real?

HamptonsDoc

What do you guys think about these? Listed as Mosasaurus hoffmanni from a European dealer (Theo) that I've purchased from before and seems to have a good reputation. Seems as though Mosasaur fossils are one of the most commonly and easily forged fossils so i just want to make sure before I purchase them! Size is listed as 5.4cm, 4.6cm, 4.8cm respectively. These are the only pictures I have of three separate teeth:

post-19603-0-30453900-1448681589_thumb.jpg post-19603-0-75455900-1448681589_thumb.jpg post-19603-0-24660700-1448681590_thumb.jpg

To my eye from the photos these are attractive pieces, displaying the characteristic "thumbprint" in the root where the replacement awaited. I see no sign of "glued-on" crowns. There is a break on the lower portion of the root of #2. It may represent a glue reattachment. Of course spurious examples of this fossil appear to be a cottage industry in their country of origin. You are wise to be dubious of their authenticity. In hand is the surest way to piece of mind. Does the seller allow returns? That would be your best insurance.

I like them. Perhaps someone with more experience will spot something, I did not. Good luck. Have fun.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

Agreed, they look good with the images provided but cannot comment on the species. Roots look real with an intact crown. First two might of had the bottom portion of the root reattached. A view of the other side could answer that.

Edit:

post-10935-0-28452100-1448713732_thumb.jpgpost-10935-0-74652500-1448713747_thumb.jpg

I agree with the reattached comments. But I don't see anything sucpicious here. They seem to be 100% genuine.

I do not think these are Mosasaurus hoffmanni though. The third maybe. The first two are likely Prognathodon sp. the crowns are just too fat for M. hoffmanni.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

Thank you for the help. I just told Theo from Henskens Fossils that I'd take all three for $140 USD total plus shipping, is that a fair price? I'm planning on keeping one for myself and giving the other two away as Christmas gifts to my niece and nephew. Which one should I keep and which two give away?

Thanks!

Henskens is generally a bit overpriced imo.

These are teeth of common mosasaurs, they look nice, but aren't very big. So no I don't think this is a fair price. I would say half of that price is fair.

Size is listed as 5.4cm, 4.6cm, 4.8cm respectively.

That size doesn't seem to be correct. you seem to have copied the size in inch but put cm behind it. Looking on the website it says they are around 12 cm, which is a pretty decent size.

At the price of 50 euros per tooth as listed on the site it's still too expensive though. I think 25 to 30 euros per tooth would be much fairer.

• 2 weeks later...

prognathodon anceps for sure.

The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. Terry Pratchett ...

I agree with the reattached comments. But I don't see anything sucpicious here. They seem to be 100% genuine.

I do not think these are Mosasaurus hoffmanni though. The third maybe. The first two are likely Prognathodon sp. the crowns are just too fat for M. hoffmanni.

Agreed.

Either Prognathodon sp. or Prognathodon giganteus for first two. Third looks similar to my Mosasaurus hoffmanni, though it looks a tad small... the crown for my hoffmanni alone is 6cm.

But anyway, these look real and good.

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

Archived