Shells? Bones? This is the third one I've found

Eddie78

Hello All,

I've come across three of these pieces now while walking a creek here in Central Texas. The creek has many fossil shells and casts from the cretaceous era, so I'm assuming that's what these are, but I don't know what to call them.

Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks!

post-20069-0-93365900-1448758598_thumb.jpgpost-20069-0-05496600-1448758627_thumb.jpg

Ammonite pieces...

Exactly; individual sediment-filled chambers, to be exact. The patterns show the convolutions of the septa.

I have always thought these were really neat.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Wow. Was not expecting to get that mystery solved so quickly. Thank you both for your help!

I'll be back with more photos soon.

Welcome to the forum from Cooke County. Yeah sorry it took us a full 2 minutes to identify your fossils. jpc isn't as fast as he used to be :) I'm looking forward to seeing more from central Texas.

Bobwiil, Been picking up fossils around here for some time on my walks so I have something of a backlog to try to ID or just share pics of. Judging from the level of expertise on this site, I doubt many I have will be serious headscratchers.

Ludwigia, "Katzenpfoten," I love that!

Thanks again y'all.

Archived