Rocketmandane

Southern Mississippi Fossil Sites?

Rocketmandane

Recently moved to southern Mississippi and would like to start hunting for fossils in the area.

Does anyone have any recommendations within 2 hours of the MS coast to start looking?

Thanks!

Herb

contact the Miss. rock and mineral clubs. The Miss. Geological Survey site. Many of the road cuts contain fossils/

jkfoam

I can refer you to the following publication; "The Invertebrate Macropaleontology Of The Clarke County, Mississippi, Area" by David T. Dockery, Bulletin 122, Mississippi Department fo Natural Resources, Bureau of Geology, and published 1980. This an excellent publication on the Eocene invertebrates in Mississippi. I don't know if this is avalable on-line as an e-book or not.

Jim

Rocketmandane

Still looking guys... So far no luck....

jkfoam

Rocketmandane,

The publication I referenced above, Dockery's Bulletin 122 is available on-line for download at http://www.deq.state.ms.us/MDEQ.nsf/pdf/Geology_Bulletin122/$File/Bulletin%20122.pdf?OpenElement. This publication lists 72 locations in southeastern Mississippi. Note that most of the locations listed will not be good for collecting and/or may be on private land. What it will do is put you in the vicinity of where fossil occur. I have not personally collected in Mississippi in over 30 years so I cannot put you on any specific sites, sorry.

The Mississippi Geological Survey website lists many other bulletins that may also be of interest to you for collecting sites. Go to www.deq.state.ms.us, then scroll down and click on "Office of Geology" when that page opens, on the left scroll down to "List of Publications" and click on that, then click on "Bulletins". A list of Bulletins will be shown with a download button.

Jim

monsterrack

You may have to add a little more driving time, like 3 hrs. Waynesboro Ms. is loaded with fossils in the creeks

Rocketmandane
On 2/11/2016 at 3:08 PM, monsterrack said:

You may have to add a little more driving time, like 3 hrs. Waynesboro Ms. is loaded with fossils in the creeks

Still Looking Guys and Gals! Want to give it a better try this year :) 

Plax

you didn't find anyplace since Feb. 2016? There are a ton of professional papers with explicit site information in them. Google should have gotten you many sites by now.

Rocketmandane
1 hour ago, Plax said:

you didn't find anyplace since Feb. 2016? There are a ton of professional papers with explicit site information in them. Google should have gotten you many sites by now.

I should have rephrased that. I didn't get a lot of time to look last year and was unsuccessful at where I did. By good try I mean lots and lots and lots more time looking :)