please help identify Johnson County Kansas fossil

randyfossil

this was found in the bank of a small creek in Johnson County Kansas 20 years ago. it was partially exposed when first spotted.all this time I thought it was a turtle shell, but now I'm not so sure. appreciate any help, thank you.

post-20174-0-08926500-1448767093_thumb.jpg

post-20174-0-88297100-1448767115_thumb.jpg

post-20174-0-02751700-1448767140_thumb.jpg

Hi, randyfossil, and welcome.

Doesn't look like anything I've seen.

I don't think it's a fossil, but possibly a large concretion, geological in origin.

Otherwise, it kind of looks man-made, almost like plaster or something.

I hope someone sees something I'm missing about it!

Steve

Steve

When I combine the possible growth lines in the second photo to the faint suggestion of symmetry in the first I come up with large bivalve.

My first impression is mudstone concretion.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

My first impression is mudstone concretion.

For comparison. This is from the Hickory Creek member of the Plattsburg fm. in Wyandotte Co., Ks. The biggest one is about the size of a softball.

What baffles me is how the OP's is broken. These things are extremely hard, and pretty much require a sledge hammer just to chip it.

post-5130-0-07309600-1448814533_thumb.jpg

Edited by Bullsnake

Steve

...What baffles me is how the OP's is broken. These things are extremely hard, and pretty much require a sledge hammer just to chip it...

It may have not completely lithified, and subsequent weathering left it as we see.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

• 1 year later...
On 29 novembre 2015 at 11:50 AM, Rockwood said:

When I combine the possible growth lines in the second photo to the faint suggestion of symmetry in the first I come up with large bivalve.

If @Rockwoodis right, then it must be a kind of inoceramus, but i am not against the ID of a concretion. In that case i suggest it could be a Breccia.

Here is a link to a site on the fossils of Kansas : http://kansasgeology.weebly.com

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg