Dinosaur Material for Sale

Troodon

A new seller in one of our favorite auction sites has listed a large number of ROCKS identifying them has dinosaur material, just in time for Christmas gifts. The good news is that his prices at well over $200 each will discourage potential buyers. Here is a small sampling of the listings. Enjoy his delusion but stay away from all of it.

Flat Dino Egg

post-10935-0-68367500-1448974430_thumb.jpgpost-10935-0-27638100-1448974456_thumb.jpg

T-rex embryo

post-10935-0-16113500-1448974653_thumb.jpg

Hatchling Head

post-10935-0-77029300-1448974669_thumb.jpg

Triceratops embryo

post-10935-0-79324800-1448974985_thumb.jpg

:shake head:

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Just,.... Wow. :blink:<_<:unsure:

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Sadly there will always be people that only try to maximise exploiting others.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

Wow....

"Let us therefore follow after the things which make for peace, and things wherewith one may edify another."
-Romans 14:19

I must admit that exceeds my imagination ... :(

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

The good news is that his prices at well over $200 each will discourage potential buyers.

I bet that is still way lower than the average uninformed person's perception of the value.

I wonder what will happen to these sellers once they are caught? Aren't they afraid of being sent to jail? All the evidence is online for everyone to see, and it'd be easy for the police to track down where the money went!

Sadly there will always be people that only try to maximise exploiting others.

I sometimes wonder if it's exploitation or just plain ignorance.

Of course not everyone that is selling fakes is deliberatly trying to con people. But I feel that if you are selling something with the claim that it is something special, you better have something to back that up. After all, if a person is asking money for something and setting the price to what they propose is something special. I don't think caliming ignorance is a valid excuse. Even if the seller is actually believes that these are actual fossils. They should do the research first before selling it.

Agreed, you would think most people think that way but some may just be so convinced they are correct that no research is warranted.

I hope no one actually buys those. Even squinting, they don't resemble fossils

"Or speak to the earth, and let it teach you" Job 12:8

I sometimes wonder if it's exploitation or just plain ignorance.

Some of each (and they are not mutually exclusive, either).

The more folks we reach with our educational outreach, the better!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

post-14584-0-22492500-1448985890_thumb.jpg

This is currently for sale for the cheap price of $50k. He's claiming it's a "rare paw fossil" and it's "adorable". Oh his description is hilarious.....and a bit sexist!!! Haha! You guys should look it up for a chuckle.

Personally I think these people should not be allowed to sell ANYTHING anymore on that site. Or at the very least, have their account deleted and start all over.

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

Unfortunately there are no checks and balances with auction sites. I echo what Auspex said the more folks we can reach with this education, the better.

Hi All a few months ago someone posted a request for the ID of his "fossilised snakes head" all who viewed the image he posted informed him that he did not have a fossil but a naturally shaped piece of rock. As I remember it he got a bit upset and started making up stories of him being a physicist and not some fool and he knew a fossil when he found it.

More and more forum members gave the same ID "its a rock" but alas our "physicist" claimed that all where wrong and he was going to take it to a "top person" in the field and they would confirm he was right, he was wished well and asked to let all know what the "top person" said.

Alas we did not hear from him again and it was determined that he was not a "physicist" at all.

Anyway I have started to ramble, the moral of the story is

"you can fool some of the people all of the time, or all of the people some of the time, but you cant fool all of the people all of the time"

Some people will believe what they want to believe and if they are told it is a "T Rex Embryo" and they see it in the piece of rock then that's what it is and it will not matter to them what others say, usually the friends that they have will look at the rock and see what they are told is there and thus perpetuate the illusion of the "T Rex Embryo".

As to price unfortunately some people equate cost with quality and will look at some fossils for sale and see the reasonable cost and equate the higher cost of the "T Rex Embryo" as validating it.

Just my thoughts

Regards

Mike

attachicon.gif__3.JPG

This is currently for sale for the cheap price of $50k. He's claiming it's a "rare paw fossil" and it's "adorable". Oh his description is hilarious.....and a bit sexist!!! Haha! You guys should look it up for a chuckle.

Personally I think these people should not be allowed to sell ANYTHING anymore on that site. Or at the very least, have their account deleted and start all over.

Think he read this because the description's been changed:

post-11650-0-46421500-1448987270_thumb.jpg

"Let us therefore follow after the things which make for peace, and things wherewith one may edify another."
-Romans 14:19

Hi All,

Well I was in my local swimming pool and a tile came off and under it I found 36 ichthyosaur embryos all perfectly formed, However I would like confirmation as I am not quite sure I have identified them correctly. (see attached image)

I will be keeping 1 for my own collection and selling the remainder at auction for the very reasonable price of $1,000 each.

Please let me know as soon as possible if you want one as I am sure the demand will be high. As a measure of good will I will pay P&P on the first 10 orders there after P & P will be $100 per Embryo (this is to cover the cost of insuring them as they are so rare)

So remember all you fossil hounds out there this will be a fantastic display item for your cabinets and will be a talking point for anyone who visits you.

Hurry Hurry Hurry.

Regards

Mike

post-15295-0-01922500-1448988426_thumb.png

Agreed, you would think most people think that way but some may just be so convinced they are correct that no research is warranted.

I agree, Frank. Whether sellers or buyers...the human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

I hope no one actually buys those. Even squinting, they don't resemble fossils

They might not resemble fossils to those of us that are familiar with them. However think about someone, unfamiliar with fossils, looking to purchase a nice Christmas present and like Mike said equates cost with quality can be taken.

They might not resemble fossils to those of us that are familiar with them. However think about someone, unfamiliar with fossils, looking to purchase a nice Christmas present and like Mike said equates cost with quality can be taken.

Yeah that's true.

"Or speak to the earth, and let it teach you" Job 12:8

Reminds me of when I was a little kid. I once found a pointy rock on a gravel path. Logically, of course I thought it was a T. rex tooth.

Oooh I've always wanted my own T-Rex embryo to play with..........even if it does look like something I've seen in my cereal bowl at breakfast time.

snarge I saw Troodon's post I was hoping he was offering up some of his great collection.

Then I clicked and saw this craziness!

Archived