Dinosaur Material for Sale

Troodon

This is why I value the opinion of you blokes on the forum, I'd far rather look like a fool by asking a silly question about the authenticity of a possible purchase than outlay the money only to discover that what I bought was rubbish! In the mean time I'm learning all the time by reading threads like this, thanks gents, I appreciate you sharing your knowledge with us all.

Defiantly! I have collected artifacts (not just fossils) for over 7 years and I still ask on forums before I purchase even a piece for £20.... Although these look fake, there getting better at them and some fakes now are real good and have even caused experts to look twice! It's why although you can normally buy books or read past posts, nothing beats the up to date views of new friends on sites like these!

You think this person genuinely believes that these are fossils? Or just a scammer? I hate it when people try to prey on those who don't know as much as them..

I seriously can't stand it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus.

Whether perpetrated willfully or through ignorance is immaterial to our purpose; recognizing and avoiding fakes.

Trying the purveyors of counterfeit fossils in the court of public opinion is not in our wheelhouse, but helping the inexperienced collectors of the world is. ;)

• I found this Informative 1

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I noticed this seller last year. I don't think he's intentionally trying to mislead or cheat anyone. There seems to be mental problems at work here. I have a schizophrenic relative who collects quantities of weather worn rocks which he believes are meteorites. No one would ever be able to convince him otherwise.

• 1 year later...
On 12/1/2015 at 8:26 AM, Mike Pocock said:

Hi All a few months ago someone posted a request for the ID of his "fossilised snakes head" all who viewed the image he posted informed him that he did not have a fossil but a naturally shaped piece of rock. As I remember it he got a bit upset and started making up stories of him being a physicist and not some fool and he knew a fossil when he found it.

More and more forum members gave the same ID "its a rock" but alas our "physicist" claimed that all where wrong and he was going to take it to a "top person" in the field and they would confirm he was right, he was wished well and asked to let all know what the "top person" said.

Alas we did not hear from him again and it was determined that he was not a "physicist" at all.

Anyway I have started to ramble, the moral of the story is

"you can fool some of the people all of the time, or all of the people some of the time, but you cant fool all of the people all of the time"

Some people will believe what they want to believe and if they are told it is a "T Rex Embryo" and they see it in the piece of rock then that's what it is and it will not matter to them what others say, usually the friends that they have will look at the rock and see what they are told is there and thus perpetuate the illusion of the "T Rex Embryo".

As to price unfortunately some people equate cost with quality and will look at some fossils for sale and see the reasonable cost and equate the higher cost of the "T Rex Embryo" as validating it.

Just my thoughts

Regards

Mike

This is why I no longer even reply to people who send me pictures of stuff like this wanting me to identify or (God forbid) buy it. I have found that the almost universal response to even the kindest, most educational reply is a raving, paranoid rant. I believe these people are often suffering from a strong case of pareidolia (seeing patterns and faces where there isn't one) and your denial of their delusion only makes them mad.

“When you're riding in a time machine way far into the future, don't stick your elbow out the window, or it'll turn into a fossil.” - Jack Handy

And I found this excellent example of a common stone, oh I mean "fossilized snake or lizard", on our favorite online auction this morning, starting at only US $0.99! :o

4283023208.png

Is It real, or it's not real, that's the question!

03.PNG

And also this wonderful and very rare boulder, oh I mean "Dinosaur fossil egg", on our favorite online auction, at only US $49.00 in Buy It Now! :rofl:

3205825808.png

03.PNG

7 hours ago, SEGUIDORA-DE-ISIS said:

And also this wonderful and very rare boulder, oh I mean "Dinosaur fossil egg", on our favorite online auction, at only US $49.00 in Buy It Now! :rofl:

3205825808.png

What's unfortunate is that a few people have purchased his rocks.

On 01/12/2015 at 0:25 PM, Troodon said:

I sometimes wonder if it's exploitation or just plain ignorance.

I believe it is exploitation in 99.9% of cases! Ignorance is when you do not know what it is, and then it sells for a low price so as not to harm anyone. When you do not know what it is, and sell for a very high price, then you're a dishonest! At this very moment, at our favorite auction site, they are selling for only US $3 800,00 dollars a "Very rare crocodile baby fossil in excellent condition", which is actually just a fossil fish of the Rhacolepis buccalis species, which in Brazil is considered "paleontological garbage", which is found daily by the thousands!

11.PNG

03.PNG

And here I am registered all my repudiation, because the new fashion is now to cut every fossil in the middle to get maximum profit with both parties!

11.PNG

03.PNG

Doesn't look cut into two to me. Looks like an unfused centrum with the neural arch missing.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

Who knows what the sellers knowledge is with the croc/fish but is a good example of what can exist. 

I agree with LordTrilobite that is an normal unfused Centrum missing it's arch.

Take a look at this ``Dinosaur skins`` for sale on ebay:D - 

s-l1600.jpg

Description:Dinosaur skin; Cretaceous Age, Utah.  Nice specimen to add to your collection.  Fork shown for scale.  

Price:175$:rofl:

``MONSTER Fossil RAPTOR DINOSAUR Shoulder Bone with SKIN impressions DELTADROMEUS?``

s-l1600.jpg

Description:

This bone comes from the Kem Kem region of Morocco. The bone itself measures 30 cm long by 23 cm wide. This is a nice example of a near complete shoulder bone but with the added interest of partail skin remnants still attached to the bone! This is the first time I have ever seen this from the Kem Kem, so I did speak to others about this and they feel exactly the same as me - this is indeed fossilized skin - it looks very reptilian (like sand paper). That said, it  is not sand or salt crystals - but definite regimented spacing between the nodular skin markings. This is very different to all the other dinosaur skin impressions I have seen before, but they were all from the USA and related to Edmontosaurus. This must have come from a carnivore and it appears to be a lightly built or young one at that. Most of the bone is missing the skin, but in a few random places you can clearly see these remains and this only occurs on the ouuter suface of the bone (none seen on the opposite side, which helps confirm this is skin). The bone shows some great details to the overall shape and is in shape overall (one bit broken off, but this too has some skin noted). It's hard to imagine that this came from a once killer dinosaur... but now with some proof of the type of skin it had also gives us a better idea of what the dinosaur actually looked like.This dinosaur must have been dried out in the sun and mumified before being buried... can you imagine the sight??

It came from a reasonable sized or young larger dinosaur. My guesses are that this came from a large raptor type dinosaur or maybe a dinosaur such as Deltadromeus or an immature African T-Rex - so a worthy piece which ever. A truly amazing piece to own and cherish....

:hearty-laugh:

Price:511$

14 hours ago, Troodon said:

Quem sabe o que o conhecimento vendedores é com o croc / peixe, mas é um bom exemplo do que pode existir. 

Concordo com LordTrilobite que é uma Centrum não fundido normais faltando é arco.

19 hours ago, Seguidora-de-Isis said:

And here I am registered all my repudiation, because the new fashion is now to cut every fossil in the middle to get maximum profit with both parties!

11.PNG

I do not believe that today there are hundreds of neural arches missing, whereas in former times, It was very rare was see on our favorite auction site a bone with the missing neural arch. I believe that the recent increase of this phenomenon is closely linked with greed and dishonesty!

08.PNG

03.PNG

If the bone was broken off it would look differently. Unfused centra naturally look like this. Only in older animals do the centra and neural arches fuse together in dinosaurs. There's really nothing suspicious about it.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

On 29/05/2017 at 6:31 PM, *THEO* said:

Take a look at this ``Dinosaur skins`` for sale on ebay:D - 

``MONSTER Fossil RAPTOR DINOSAUR Shoulder Bone with SKIN impressions DELTADROMEUS?``

s-l1600.jpg

Description:

This bone comes from the Kem Kem region of Morocco. The bone itself measures 30 cm long by 23 cm wide. This is a nice example of a near complete shoulder bone but with the added interest of partail skin remnants still attached to the bone! This is the first time I have ever seen this from the Kem Kem, so I did speak to others about this and they feel exactly the same as me - this is indeed fossilized skin - it looks very reptilian (like sand paper). That said, it  is not sand or salt crystals - but definite regimented spacing between the nodular skin markings. This is very different to all the other dinosaur skin impressions I have seen before, but they were all from the USA and related to Edmontosaurus. This must have come from a carnivore and it appears to be a lightly built or young one at that. Most of the bone is missing the skin, but in a few random places you can clearly see these remains and this only occurs on the ouuter suface of the bone (none seen on the opposite side, which helps confirm this is skin). The bone shows some great details to the overall shape and is in shape overall (one bit broken off, but this too has some skin noted). It's hard to imagine that this came from a once killer dinosaur... but now with some proof of the type of skin it had also gives us a better idea of what the dinosaur actually looked like.This dinosaur must have been dried out in the sun and mumified before being buried... can you imagine the sight??

It came from a reasonable sized or young larger dinosaur. My guesses are that this came from a large raptor type dinosaur or maybe a dinosaur such as Deltadromeus or an immature African T-Rex - so a worthy piece which ever. A truly amazing piece to own and cherish....

:hearty-laugh:

Price:511$

Coelacanth - Mawsonia ;)

coelacanthe.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

On 30/05/2017 at 4:57 PM, Troodon said:

Exemplo de átrios da spinosaurid Sigilmassasaurus do Kem Kem.

Screenshot_20170530-125435.thumb.jpg.aa94dc0dde44f9c7f5172a291d756fef.jpgScreenshot_20170530-125409.thumb.jpg.3a7689df7ee89281295ad51da8a34ecd.jpg

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4614847/

To err is very easy, but difficult is to recognize the error! So I will rely on the wide experience of my friendsLordTrilobite and Troodon. So I take this space to acknowledge my ignorance in this matter and humbly apologize to the seller. I confess that I am learning a lot here. Hugs!

03.PNG