¿Theropod Fibula?

Pterosaur

Hi guys,

I have just finished another fossil prep, and would appreciate any help identifying!

This fossil comes from the Hell Creek formation in Montana, and looks to be a fibula. The inside is hollow and the walls are smooth. I took the whole thing apart section by section, and the hollowness extends throughout the bone. I was told by the seller that it could be from a thescelosaurus, but I have absolutely no idea. It is exactly 16" long. The bone quality is exceptional and it's really shiny. Any thoughts as to what it may have come from?

Thank you, everyone!

-Lauren

post-15415-0-73431700-1449033724_thumb.jpeg

post-15415-0-92237400-1449033623_thumb.jpeg

post-15415-0-09386300-1449033648_thumb.jpeg

post-15415-0-38856900-1449033678_thumb.jpeg

post-15415-0-84361100-1449033703_thumb.jpeg

P.S. The seller specifically asked for your opinion, Troodon :)

• I found this Informative 1

"I am a part of all that I have met." - Lord Alfred Tennyson

I don't have any idea of identification, though I'm sure Troodon will be along with his wealth of knowledge soon, I'd just like to say that thats a great prep job, and I look forward to seeing more pieces from you in the future!

-Lyall

Ha ha talked with him yesterday and he gave me heads up that you were going to post something he provided you to prep. Surprised he did not tell you it was Rex since that's all he finds :D

First, great prep work, so if you ever decide to quit your daytime job you have something to fall back on :) that you are very good at.

It is a fibula and if it's hollow and smooth inside, definitely then a theropod which would rule out Thescelosaurus. Isolated theropod limb bones are difficult to ID to a species without looking at comparative bones which I don't have. Given the length, slenderness and knowing what he typically finds at his site there are two candidates Struthiomimus and Anzu. If I had to take a guess would lean toward Struthiomimus. Nice bone good pickup.

Ha ha talked with him yesterday and he gave me heads up that you were going to post something he provided you to prep. Surprised he did not tell you it was Rex since that's all he finds :D

First, great prep work, so if you ever decide to quit your daytime job you have something to fall back on :) that you are very good at.

It is a fibula and if it's hollow and smooth inside, definitely then a theropod which would rule out Thescelosaurus. Isolated theropod limb bones are difficult to ID to a species without looking at comparative bones which I don't have. Given the length, slenderness and knowing what he typically finds at his site there are two candidates Struthiomimus and Anzu. If I had to take a guess would lean toward Struthiomimus. Nice bone good pickup.

Thank you! It was a lot of fun to work on. If I could prep bones for a living, I would not consider it a job. :) Too much fun and too interesting.

I'm already looking forward to going out there again. He REALLY wants me to bring my dad back with me. Hahah...I think he got a big kick out of telling my dad "just another rock, Frank," and then chucking them down the hill. :D

Anyway, thank you for the identification. I looked at the skeletons of both dinosaurs, and it seems like you're right. The bones looks like it could have worked for either, but Struthiomimus appeared the closest in shape.

"I am a part of all that I have met." - Lord Alfred Tennyson

Love the interaction with both of them, Fred is really hooked on fossils. I cannot wait to get out there next year.