unidentified items found near Dubois, WY area

M4 EnthUZIast

I am a resident of wisconsin and i live in the Milwaukee area. Every year, my family and I go out to Wyoming to a town where my grandma has lived for the last 30 years, Doubois, WY. We go there for about a week and rock pick and explore. We find agate, petrified wood, fossils, one arrowhead, this unidentified rock that looks like a small dinosaurs leg with a couple pieces in the back of the rock as well, which i found in the Wind River, and a bone carved into the shape of a tooth (obviously not chewed or naturally formed that way) i found at the back of a pitch black cave. I was wondering if anyone could tell me what these are or if they have any ideas where to take them and have them looked at. (It will only let me post the rock, the bone pictures won't fit, hopefully i can figure something out)

post-20198-0-15251500-1449099153_thumb.jpg

post-20198-0-20188800-1449099412_thumb.jpg

here are the pictures of the bone that was carved into a tooth-looking sharp object. At first, when i saw it and picked it up honest to god, the first thought through my head was "What is a shark tooth doing in a cave in Wyoming? The joint is not pictured but there is the rounding of a joint on the wide end.

post-20198-0-96313900-1449100598_thumb.jpg

post-20198-0-75601800-1449100639_thumb.jpg

I have no idea on the first one, but the second item looks like a deer hoof core.

Regards,

EDIT: I think maybe a geological origin for your first item - doesn't look like bone to me.

Edited by Fossildude19
  • I found this Informative 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

here are the pictures of the bone that was carved into a tooth-looking sharp object. At first, when i saw it and picked it up honest to god, the first thought through my head was "What is a shark tooth doing in a cave in Wyoming? The joint is not pictured but there is the rounding of a joint on the wide end.

Looks like a deer toe bone, natural and not carved.

Hi and welcome to the Forum.

Very interesting. I will see what the experts say. Great finds. :yay-smiley-1:

Edited by ZiggieCie

Yeah, I looked into it and it is one of the hooves of a mule deer or elk or something, a little strange that it was at the back of a cave, but probably a bear or cougar or something. still nothing on that leg though, upon closer inspection it appears to have i streak of crystal-type mineral in the chunk of "bone" on the back, if that means anything. otherwise, ive been researching it and can't find anything like it.

I believe the top photos are geological. I have several similar pieces picked up in mostly Wyoming. Basically softer rock eroding away from the harder. I'm sure there is a geological term for what I'm trying to say. I remember finding them for the first time and thinking "what the heck" are these.

Two photos of the same rock, just remember to put something in for scale the second time. There is some really nice petrified wood and occasionally a fossilized pine cone found in the Wiggins Fork area near Dubois.

post-1148-0-57703700-1449106495_thumb.jpg post-1148-0-57762600-1449106508_thumb.jpg

Jim

Old Dead Things

Yeah, that does lok similar. we have found some pretty amazing pieces of petrified wood and some big pieces too, stump size, like the kind they sell for $2000 but i didn't realize that there were petrified pinecones, those sound like they'd be cool to find.

The only person I know who has found those petrified pinecones horse packed into the Wiggins Fork headwaters... an overnight outing with horses. They spent a lot of time collecting t e wood up there and found a grand total of two pinecones over the years. I saw one and it was stunning. A calcite pinecone.