Jeffrey P

Compared to 2014, this season has been a bit of a disappointment as far as finding complete trilobites. True, I found a couple nice Greenops at Deep Springs Road, including one at the TFF gathering last spring. Figuring I had one last chance to make good before winter snows hit, I traveled up to eastern Madison County in Central Upstate New York to an exposure of the Middle Devonian Skaneateles Formation, part of the Hamilton Group. It was my second time there this year and the last time produced one of my best Dipleura dekayi cephalons. I hoped to do at least as well on this, what is likely, my final trip there of the season. I arrived before ten in the morning. Day was crisp- high thirties to low forties, sunny. There were a number of sandstone blocks lying at the foot of the exposure I didn't recall seeing the last time I was there. I proceeded to split these and the second block yielded this:

post-13044-0-44888100-1449118794_thumb.jpg

the thorax and pygidium of a Dipleura, the best Dipleura thorax/pygidium I've found so far this year.

Soon after I found a partially exposed cephalon of another Dipleura. A little careful chiseling and repair work I was able to expose the whole thing:

post-13044-0-57251300-1449119085_thumb.jpg

Later I climbed the steep talus slope to the base of a small cliff where I excavated last time I was there and found the complete cephalon. A friend of mine had found two complete individuals there on an earlier trip. Patiently I dug into the siltstone but I wasn't finding much, a few scattered bivalves and brachiopod pieces, an occasional isolated Dipleura thorax segment. After almost two hours I stopped and took a break, wandered around the talus searching for a possible better place to excavate. Not finding anything looking more promising I returned to my original dig spot and there it was lying there right below where I had just been digging. Couldn't believe my eyes- a complete juvenile Dipleura:

post-13044-0-14389600-1449119644_thumb.jpg

I imagine this must have popped out unseen while I was removing slabs. It is only about an inch and a half in length. Adult Dipleuras can reach lengths of eight to ten inches. One of my cephalons is three inches across. Some other finds of the day:

Bivalves:

post-13044-0-16767000-1449119942_thumb.jpg

Cornellites fasciculata

post-13044-0-34524300-1449120532_thumb.jpg

And so it turned out to be one of my best days collecting this year. Left the site before 2PM and got back in time to make dinner for my daughter and take her to her dance class.

great finds Jeffrey P , Thanks for sharing. :envy:

growing old is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Jeff,

Congratulations on a great day of collecting!

Glad you were able to get such fantastic fossils.

They are just rewards for your patience and perseverance.

Great report and pictures. Thanks for posting this.

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Nice fossils; I am particularly smitten by the pattern and detail of the Cornellites.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Way to go, Jeff! You sure deserve those nice finds. The Dipleura pieces are difficult finds and that complete juvenile is wonderful. I also like the look of that well-preserved Cornellites. You even made it home in time. Well done. I'm looking forward to getting together for another hunt next year.

Mike

Start the day with a smile and get it over with.

Large, complete Dipleura are elusive but Im sure you will find one.

Many times I've wondered how much there is to know.  
led zeppelin

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png IPFOTM.png IPFOTM2.png IPFOTM3.png IPFOTM4.png IPFOTM5.png

Wow nice trilobites man! Can't wait till spring when I can go hunting again!

So I say to you, Ask and it will be given to you; search, and you will find; knock, and door will be opened for you. -Jesus Christ

Nice fossils; I am particularly smitten by the pattern and detail of the Cornellites.

Thanks. Cornellites are abundant at that site, but rarely as complete and well preserved as this keeper. All in all I think they're a really cool bivalve.

Way to go, Jeff! You sure deserve those nice finds. The Dipleura pieces are difficult finds and that complete juvenile is wonderful. I also like the look of that well-preserved Cornellites. You even made it home in time. Well done. I'm looking forward to getting together for another hunt next year.

Mike

Thanks Mike. Definitely love to get together next year and resume the quest.

Large, complete Dipleura are elusive but Im sure you will find one.

Thanks for the encouragement, Mike. A large complete Dipleura would be very cool, but until then I'll take the well preserved complete juvenile.

Wow nice trilobites man! Can't wait till spring when I can go hunting again!

Thanks and good luck with your quest.

Archived