Trilobite Locations In The Us

sweeneyb

Anyone know of any good trilobite locations closer to the East coast of the United States if they exist? (around NC). I am not familiar with trilobites or where they are mostly found.

Guest solius symbiosus

Whole trilobites are generally rare finds outside of Cambrian strata. The Cinncinatti area produces quite a few calymenids, and I know of a few sites in Central Ky that produce asaphids, but other than that...

I used to collect from a small Devonian exposure in north-west Virginia; plenty of Phacops (mostly sheds). I believe that there are Paleozoic spots in south-west Virginia that give up trilos as well.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Well, I know none in the North carolina area but if you are willing to drive there are a few areas. As mentioned already there are a few areas in northwest virginia and northeastern west virginia and I know of a couple in pennsylvania but they are not to great. If there is one place that would be worth your drive is up in Hamburg, New York. I have collected at the pen-dixie site and have brought a lot of great trilobites out of the old Limestone quarry that is now a park but it will take a lot of digging. Another place in the area is 18 mile creek, but you have to get permission to hunt along the creek. However, I do know you can collect on the north side of the creek on the lake erie shore for now. In fact i like it better there anyway since the trilobite bed is exposed at the water level.

i dont know about up there but does anybody of any in texas?

I have seen them in the Pennsylvanian around Brownwood.