Dugong Rib?

Mango

Found in the Peace River, FL. I find a lot of dugong rib bone fragments in the river, most of which are small pieces and have been river polished. I find very few that are of this length. 8+". This one is different enough to me to post for identification.

What stands out to me are the rings. There is also very little porous material showing at one end only, and partially down one side. The entire piece, including the marrow looking end, is smooth to the touch from its life in the shifting river sand.

post-1351-1239852601_thumb.jpg

post-1351-1239852683_thumb.jpg

post-1351-1239852737_thumb.jpg

post-1351-1239852797_thumb.jpg

post-1351-1239852873_thumb.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

Pentax Optio W60

My son has my deer antlers at school, so I can't do any comparison tonight. It would have been a trophy. :) At its thickest end it is 1 3/4" in diameter. At the thinnest end it is 1 1/2" in diam. It is just over 8" long with no signs of branches or pedicles. Those could have been worn off. It is quite polished. It is also very heavy. Heavier than any other bone I have of that size.

Pentax Optio W60

• 7 years later...

I have seen LOTS of dugong ribs from the Peace River.  None look like what you have found. It may not be tusk but it could be...

Please provide measurements, and blowup photos of any area that had a different type of pattern or grain.

edge.thumb.jpg.049c3c6a5530c2675f0fbdb6b6a7036b.jpg

ribTusk.thumb.jpg.be5f7e80d5f3a688b0cbfaa376d606bd.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

I'm confused.  Are you asking about the rib posted in April 2009, or have you found a new piece and want to know if it is also dugong rib?

EDIT :  it looks like the OP is from 2009, and Denkidude has posted a different fossil in the old thread and is asking if same identity as OP.  To avoid confusion, probably best to start new post and just link to old posts if necessary. 

Saw the old question and am trying to identify the new find in the pictures I have posted. Sorry about the confusion. I felt like it was along the same lines but this one has me stumped. 

I found this washed up on Surfside beach Texas a few days ago. A few have said it is a dugong rib?

20170319_224022-1.jpg

59 minutes ago, DENKIDUDE said:

Saw the old question and am trying to identify the new find in the pictures I have posted. Sorry about the confusion. I felt like it was along the same lines but this one has me stumped. 

Ok. No problem.  Sometimes we start scrolling and forget to check the date.  

Is your specimen from the Peace River?

This one for me is difficult to say from photos only.  In my experience, dugong ribs will have growth bands visible (though often faint and difficult to see unless the bone is cut and sanded) in cross section.  Cancellous  (spongy-looking) bone typical of most bones is usually absent from most of the chunks of dugong I've seen, and the bone is very dense.  

Best I can say is that if it came from the Peace River or equivalent it is probably dugong rib (has many of the qualities of dugong rib), but I'm not sure.  Hopefully someone with better skills at photo ID will chime in :)