Possible Dakotaraptor claw....

TheClawGuy

With the recently published Dakotaraptor out of the Hell Creek once unknown, undescribed or misidentified fossils might turn out to be hidden gems.

Most people on the forums and in the fossil community know Henry for his amazing eye and knowledge for tough identifications as well as his top notch prep work so when I got a message from him a couple weeks back, I was quite the happy camper. Henry decided to take a look at one of his previously identified Tyrannosaurid hand claws from the Hell Creek and noticed its features matched a Dromaeosaurid hand claw instead but this claw was much more robust than Acheroraptor claws. Comparing it side by side to other Dromaeosaurid hand claws and next to one of his hand claws believed to be Acheroraptor, this claw stood out and aligned to match features of a larger dinosaur. The only issue from a strong identification is the size. It measures roughly 2" end to end which doesn't change anything because this may only be the result of it being a juvenile or sub-adult. If this was an adult claw measuring 5-7", this would almost be a no brainer. After some begging on my behalf haha, a deal was struck to pass the claw over to me. I contacted Robert DePalma who described the Dakotaraptor who agreed with Henry that it was a Dromaeosaurid hand claw and for how robust it is, he thinks that Dakotaraptor is more likely than one of the other raptor taxa. Another fact we all agreed on is without a skeleton that unites diagnostic characteristics, this claw will still be considered "indeterminate". But let this be an example of potential hidden gems you might have in your collection! I have attached number out photos and side by side comparisons

post-17795-0-26029200-1449344915_thumb.jpeg

post-17795-0-52847900-1449344930_thumb.jpeg

Edited by TheClawGuy

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

*Necromancer casts revive spell*

Woah, that's one helluva claw! Has there been any updates for this fella?

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

That's a cool piece!

@Troodon will likely be a good asset to you for this one ;)

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils