December 2015 Finds Of The Month

JohnJ

Show us your BEST holiday finds! :D:D:D But, while we wait, what fossil is on your wish list to find on your next hunt? :)

Carefully read the rules below, make sure you include all the required information, and submit your fossil!

Please pay special attention to Rule #5: Before and After Preparation photos must be submitted for Prepped specimens not found during the Month of the Contest. In addition to keeping the contest fair, this new qualification will encourage better documentation of our spectacular past finds. Best of luck to all and good hunting!

Entries will be taken through December 31st. Please let us know if you have any questions, and thanks for sharing more of your fossils and research this month.

To view the Winning Fossils from past contests visit the Find Of The Month Winner's Gallery.
____________________________________________________________________________________

Rules for The Fossil Forum's Vertebrate and Invertebrate/Plant Find of the Month Contests

1. You find a great Vertebrate Fossil or Invertebrate/Plant Fossil! Only fossils found by you.

2. Post your entry in the Find of the Month topic. Use a separate post for each entry. (Only two entries per contest category.)

3. Your Fossil must have been found during the Month of the Contest, or significant Preparation of your Fossil must have been completed during the Month of the Contest.

4. You must include the Date of your Discovery or the Date of Preparation Completion.

5. Before and After Preparation photos must be submitted for Prepped specimens not found during the Month of the Contest.

6. You must include the common or scientific name.

7. You must include the Geologic Age or Geologic Formation where the Fossil was found.

8. You must include the State, Province, or region where the Fossil was found.

9. Play fair and honest. No bought fossils. No false claims.

Shortly after the end of the Month, separate Polls will be created for the Vertebrate and Invertebrate/Plant Find of the Month.

In addition to the fun of a contest, we also want to learn more about the fossils. So, only entries posted with a CLEAR photo and that meet the other guidelines will be placed into the Poll.

Within a few days, we will know the two winning Finds of the Month! Now, go find your fossil, do your research, and make an entry!

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Show us your BEST holiday finds! :D:D:D But, while we wait, what fossil is on your wish list to find on your next hunt? :)

A 7 inch, pristine Meg is on my wish list. Should we post our best holiday gifts too? Not for the competition, just for fun?

A 7 inch, pristine Meg is on my wish list. Should we post our best holiday gifts too? Not for the competition, just for fun?

It would be so awesome to read about a member finding a 7 inch Meg.... :D

Sure; we'd love to see your best gifts. :)

Outstanding! Plesiosaur vertebrae with intact processes are not at all common finds.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Wow!

I found a large Muraenosaurus posterior dorsal vertebra today.

Length of centrum in mid-ventral line is 4.5cm

Width of posterior face of centrum is 6.5cm

Height of posterior centrum is 5.5cm

From the Oxford Clay Formation, Peterborough Member, Kosmoceras jason jason Zone,Middle Callovian,Jurassic (Middle).

attachicon.gif12307945_1639479526339706_2442703774680656539_o.jpgattachicon.gif12356875_1639479529673039_4673179527809176619_o.jpgattachicon.gif

12339477_1639479523006373_2712607854763786935_o.jpgattachicon.gif

12265774_1639479589673033_5045083814001669238_o.jpg

Edited by PaleoWilliam

Nice find Darren. I was out on my last hunt of the year today. Looking for the source of the Brittle Star I found earlier in the year, or some Sponges.

I picked up a bag of acorns for the squirrels and no fossils today. It was a beautiful late fall day for northern Ohio and enjoyed it. :yay-smiley-1:

Isn't it funny, the southern states begin their season as the northern states end theirs. A perfect excuse for a vacation.

• I found this Informative 1

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

Hi there!

I'll be entering my latest prep job for the FOTM contest.

It is a Cyphaspis trilobite I found in 2012 in the El Otfal formation near Jebel Ofaten, Ma'der basin, Morocco (Eifelian). We worked some layers there for several days. It is hard work and the heat is getting to you, even at that time of year. Let's take you there (I'm in the front):

post-643-0-06600300-1450127566_thumb.jpg

The routine is repetitive but often rewarding: extract a block from the right limestone layer, which is the hardest part. It often requires removing a lot of overburden. Alternatively, one can search the spoil heaps of previous digs, but that yields mostly small (although sometimes interesting) and fragmentary specimens. Next, splitting the stone, exposing potential trilobites. They often show as cross sections. Over time, one learns to interpret these cross sections pretty well.

At one moment, I got lucky. This is what I saw:

post-643-0-78165900-1450128437_thumb.jpg

A textbook longitudinal cross section of Cyphaspis. You can see the typical inflated glabella at the left hand side, and the thorax is curved upwards. A difficult pose to prep, because this leaves little room for the enormous dorsal spine.

I was very exited, because some Cyphaspis in this layer had the reputation of being rather interesting, in some cases exhibiting four odd cone-shaped spines to variable degrees on the glabella. This is similar to Cyphaspis ceratophthalmus of the German Eifel region, but not quite the same. Again, I was lucky, and you can read all about it here: Preparation report

I think it's my best find from this layer to date.

After many hours of painstakingly tickling this bug out of the rock, it saw the light for the first time in 390 million years.

post-643-0-25189600-1450128741_thumb.jpg

post-643-0-96338600-1450128752_thumb.jpg

Date of discovery: November 15, 2012

Date of preparation: December 13, 2015

Scientific name: Cyphaspis cf. ceratophthalmus

Common name: I would suggest 'Four-spined raspberry-nosed oddbug'

• I found this Informative 4

Paleo database, information and community

LogoS.png

Fred, that trilobite is incredible!! You have my vote!

I think he has everyone's vote! Lol

I was entertaining the idea of entering my Horseshoe crab, but I'm pretty confident Fred has the "Invert" category on lock down. It's a nice problem to have, just not for me and my mediocre crab..... :D

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

Nah... competition is always healthy and we're only halfway the month. Who knows what shows up! I'm very curious to see that horseshoe crab!

Edited by Fred

Paleo database, information and community

LogoS.png

Hey-hi Y'All,

I took a trip to Sharktooth Hill December 12, 2015 and at the last minute of My visit (4:30) I found this tooth. It is the first complete Megalodon that I have found.

Carcharocles megalodon

posterior tooth.

Found at the Ernst Quarries slow curve excavation.

Round Mountain Silt (Sharktooth Hill)

Middle Miocene- 12.5 million

Bakersfield, Kern county, California

post-16416-0-98955400-1450281999_thumb.jpg post-16416-0-88479800-1450282014_thumb.jpg post-16416-0-64213600-1450282023_thumb.jpg

Thank You for Your consideration!

Tony

Edited by ynot

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Hey-hi Y'All,

I took a trip to Sharktooth Hill December 12, 2015 and at the last minute of My visit (4:30) I found this tooth. It is the first complete Megalodon that I have found.

Carcharocles megalodon

posterior tooth.

Found at the Ernst Quarries slow curve excavation.

Round Mountain Silt (Sharktooth Hill)

Middle Miocene- 12.5 million

Bakersfield, Kern county, California

attachicon.gifDSCF3918.JPG attachicon.gifDSCF3921.JPG attachicon.gifDSCF3920.JPG

Thank You for Your consideration!

Tony

My wife and I were digging that day but only for a half day. If I recall you also scored some nice hastalis, but a Meg from there is indeed rare. Contratulations on your find.

My wife and I were digging that day but only for a half day. If I recall you also scored some nice hastalis, but a Meg from there is indeed rare. Contratulations on your find.

Thank You, I wish I had known Y'All belonged to TFF. I have only had a face to face with one member so far and am sorry to have missed that opportunity to meet some other TFF members.

You can see the field trip report that I posted at this link....http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/59867-my-fourth-try-at-shark-tooth-hill/

Good luck on the hunt.

Tony

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Just to make the voting a bit tougher

Mooreocrinus geminatus (Trautschold)

Upper Carboniferous (Pennsylvanian)

Kasimovian stage

Kreviakian substage

Ryazan region, Russia

Discovered December 19th, 2015 (December is quite warm this year)

Scale bar = 1 cm

post-9991-0-78264600-1450812738_thumb.jpg post-9991-0-50214900-1450812750_thumb.jpg post-9991-0-57741400-1450812759_thumb.jpg

post-9991-0-61218300-1450812770_thumb.jpg post-9991-0-77885100-1450812777_thumb.jpg

Edited by Kanopus

Wow, that almost looks Lovecarftian. :D

Great prepwork!

Edited by LordTrilobite

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

Wow, that almost looks Lovecarftian. :D

Actually, it makes Cthulhu look like Hello Kitty by comparison!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Just to make the voting a bit tougher

Mooreocrinus geminatus (Trautschold)

Kasimovian stage

Kreviakian substage

Ryazan region, Russia

Discovered December 19th, 2015 (December is quite warm this year)

Scale bar = 1 cm

attachicon.gifImage00001.jpg attachicon.gifImage00002.jpg attachicon.gifImage00003.jpg

attachicon.gifImage00004.jpg attachicon.gifImage00005.jpg

That is so cool. Love it

Just new tooth to VFOTM

Polyrhizodus concavus (Trautschold, 1874)

Kasimovian stage

Kreviakian substage

Peski quarry, Moscow region, Russia

Date of discovery: October, 2015

Date of preparation: December 26th, 2015

Scale bar = 1 cm

post-9991-0-75798400-1451162103_thumb.jpg post-9991-0-57648700-1451162109_thumb.jpg

post-9991-0-89336100-1451162114_thumb.jpg

Edited by Kanopus

I think he has everyone's vote! Lol

I was entertaining the idea of entering my Horseshoe crab, but I'm pretty confident Fred has the "Invert" category on lock down. It's a nice problem to have, just not for me and my mediocre crab..... :D

Enter it please! I'd love to see it.

Jesuslover340 and I went looking for crab fossils today. We got 8. But they won't be prepped for ages so no entries for us yet!

"Faith is to believe what you do not see; the reward of this faith is to see what you believe" - Saint Augustine

"Those who can not see past their own nose deserve our pity more than anything else."

Avoid the year end rush to get your valid entries in...

:zzzzscratchchin: ...wait...it is the year end. :o

• I found this Informative 1