Western Australian Museum

sandgroper

Today I took my ten year old daughter to the Western Australian museum in Perth, It was full of school kids on excursions and very noisy but we had a good time - she is already on school holidays. I took a few photos but I will be going back early January so I'll take some better photos then as they are building a new prehistoric display which promises to be great. The dinosaur skeletons are copies, the one on the left in the top photo is a Muttaburrasaurus.

post-20200-0-08027500-1449734390_thumb.png

post-20200-0-14830900-1449734400_thumb.png

post-20200-0-92669200-1449734408_thumb.png

It looks like they have already updated some displays, I don't think the Allosaurus was there last time I was. :)

It's a lazy man that can't find his wife a second job!

I'll take some better photos when I go back there in a couple of weeks time.

When you do could you get the curators to explain the label 'An Allosaurus from Australia' please? Its certainly a revelation to me.

When you do could you get the curators to explain the label 'An Allosaurus from Australia' please? Its certainly a revelation to me.

Will do. It surprised me too but with the school excursion going on and the associated noise and chaos I was just as happy to get out of there. When I go back it should not be so chaotic so I'll be able to take a bit of time reading the labels on the exhibits properly and taking some decent photos.

Will do. It surprised me too but with the school excursion going on and the associated noise and chaos I was just as happy to get out of there. When I go back it should not be so chaotic so I'll be able to take a bit of time reading the labels on the exhibits properly and taking some decent photos.

Did some quick reading and the bones originally thought to be Allosaurus actually belong to other Theropods but did not say which ones

The Australian 'Allosaur' was (I think) described a fair while ago from a single astragalus. The certainty of this ID has always been suspect but back then all we had were Northern hemisphere animals to compare it to. With recent dinosaur discoveries adding more details to the Southern dinosaur diversity, the specimen might finally be properly identified. Plus, it was found in Cretaceous sediments, (Allosaurus was Jurrassic) which makes the ID even more of a stretch.

The best part is that it has given rise to the speculation of the 'Pygmy' or 'Dwarf' relic population of Allosaur which, even if not real, sounds awesome.

the Wiki article mentions some more of the details. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Species_of_Allosaurus

• 4 weeks later...

I took my daughter back to the museum today and took a few more pics, we are going back again on Friday as they have a dinosaur show which should be good fun. They are moving the museum in a few months and I think they have already begun packing up some of the displays as there seemed to be less on show than I saw a few weeks back. I couldn't find the Australian Allosaurus display so unless I somehow missed it I think it has been packed away. Anyway, here are a couple of pics.

post-20200-0-67864300-1451988623_thumb.jpg

post-20200-0-39170800-1451988636_thumb.jpg

post-20200-0-05102100-1451988653_thumb.jpg

post-20200-0-05050400-1451988666_thumb.jpg

Look out for it back on display next time rebranded as 'Australovenator' which would seem more plausible or 'Australian T-Rex' if they want to go for maximum marketing appeal!

Edited by Killclaw
  • I found this Informative 1