American Museum of Natural History (New York City)

Mediospirifer

Thanks for the great report! That sure is an impressive museum. That Plateosaurus trossingensis comes from southern germany and was named after the town in which it was found, Trossingen.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Very cool report and pictures. Thanks for posting them. I go there practically every year for my birthday. The vertebrate collection is awesome though lighting is sometimes an issue. Wasn't able to really see a Linton, Ohio coelacanth on my last visit. Unfortunately, except for a few specimens scattered through the different halls, invertebrate fossils are largely absent. I saw the London museum back in the early 90s and would say it is definitely worth seeing both. That museum definitely has a great collection of English fossils.

I grew up in NY City and my mother actually was a volunteer at the Museum for four year while I was in grade school. Needless to say the Museum was where it all started for me back in the 60's and the only thing different today is how much it costs to get in...Back then it was free!!! Still and always worth a visit.....

The Hayden Planetarium is, in my opinion, one of the most fantastic display presentations ever.

Great report and thanks for the tour!!

Bruce

As far as I know, the Smithsonian museums are the only major museums with free admission.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

The museum system in Chicago is free (or was when I visited friends there a few years ago), but otherwise most charge admission.

AMNH is on the pricey side ($22 adult general admission, according to the website), but it is well worth it! :D

Actually, I take that back about the Chicago museum. I just looked at their website, and the Chicago Field Museum (their natural history museum) charges $18 for adult general admission. Not that much different from AMNH.

The art museum and the zoo used to be free. I remember visiting those!

Actually, I take that back about the Chicago museum. I just looked at their website, and the Chicago Field Museum (their natural history museum) charges $18 for adult general admission. Not that much different from AMNH.

The art museum and the zoo used to be free. I remember visiting those!

It's an interesting question in itself don't you think. And perhaps deserving for a new thread,that's if there's not one entertained on TFF already.

The latest news here in the UK is that some museums in the UK face cuts of up to 40 per cent, charging for admission is back on the agenda. Is this a sensible way to make up for lost funds, or a shortsighted move that will damage the whole sector?

Regards.....D&E&i

The only certainty with fossil hunting is the uncertainty.

https://lnk.bio/Darren.Withers

It does say on the AMNH website that tickets for less than the full price can be purchased at the Museum. They don't say what prices are actually available. To quote: "If you wish to pay less, you may purchase tickets at the Museum" So, someone who can't afford $22 can presumably still get in to see things.

I don't really have a problem with museums charging admission to supplement their costs of operation, as long as everyone can get in to see it. I would really like to see museums funded well enough by taxes that they wouldn't have to!

Permanent funding for the Smithsonian Institute and all it's facilities is from an endowment by James Smithson: LINK

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

Permanent funding for the Smithsonian Institute and all it's facilities is from an endowment by James Smithson: LINK

That was interesting write up...I wonder what the outcome would have been if Henry James Hungerford had died with an heir.

Regards.....D&E&i

It does say on the AMNH website that tickets for less than the full price can be purchased at the Museum. They don't say what prices are actually available. To quote: "If you wish to pay less, you may purchase tickets at the Museum" So, someone who can't afford $22 can presumably still get in to see things.

I don't really have a problem with museums charging admission to supplement their costs of operation, as long as everyone can get in to see it. I would really like to see museums funded well enough by taxes that they wouldn't have to!

Some of the best-known museums in the UK charge everyone through general or local taxation for the services they provide – whether we use them or not.

Do you think that's pretty much the same in America.

Regards.....D&E&i

Some of the best-known museums in the UK charge everyone through general or local taxation for the services they provide – whether we use them or not.

Do you think that's pretty much the same in America.

Only in some cases at the municipal level.

If you look at AMNH website under "Current Exhibitions", most of them list foundations that are supporting that specific exhibit. I think they're funded by a combination of entrance fees and donations. There is a financial statement available, but I don't have time to dig through it to see if there are any other sources of funding.

Im more than happy to pay a little tax from my hard earned wage to help the upkeep for my local Museum. :)

It is for the greater good, and returns social dividends. European science came of age during the period of royal patronage, whereas museums in the US were largely built from private fortunes.

If you look at AMNH website under "Current Exhibitions", most of them list foundations that are supporting that specific exhibit. I think they're funded by a combination of entrance fees and donations. There is a financial statement available, but I don't have time to dig through it to see if there are any other sources of funding.

Thank you for taking the time to look as I do really find this interesting especially as its a huge topic with plenty of answers and questions. It would be great to see an increase in government funding . But I guess in the present climate that may be some time.

Regards.....D&E&i

It is for the greater good, and returns social dividends. European science came of age during the period of royal patronage, whereas museums in the US were largely built from private fortunes.

I couldn’t agree more…large or small, and anywhere in the world. Museums are of and for their communities, provide a sense of identity and place in troubled times and a key educational resource.

And a place for a little ( me ) time…every Tuesday for 4 hours. ;)

Regards.....D&E&i