Merritt Island, Florida - Pleistocene ID needed

old bones

This was the only specimen of this kind that I found in Sacha's Merritt Island matrix. Is it a bryozoan, or a coral? It is so pretty... there are tiny little stars in it!

post-13648-0-26592600-1449968701_thumb.jpg

12-2023TFFsig.png.193bff42034b9285e960cff49786ba4e.png

Coral, just a guess ,Solenastrea sp ?

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

It is a bryozoan. The star shaped structure is called a costal shield, only certain types have it. The orifice is located above the shield. The costal shield looks similar to coral septa on this specimen but corals have much larger corallites.

• I found this Informative 2

It is a bryozoan. The star shaped structure is called a costal shield, only certain types have it. The orifice is located above the shield. The costal shield looks similar to coral septa on this specimen but corals have much larger corallites.

Thank you, Eric. I have learned something new... Now I have to go read more about this. :)

12-2023TFFsig.png.193bff42034b9285e960cff49786ba4e.png

• 3 weeks later...

Yup. Great authoritative info from Al Dente as usual. The scale is much too small for coral polyps and the alignment of the little squarish zooid chambers signaled bryozoan colony for me as well. I've found a few bryo colony fragments in the micro-matrix I collected from Rattlesnake Creek.

Bryozoans (moss-animals) are interesting little colonial critters that can be found on our reefs today (usually on walls or underhangs). Many are encrusting but some make wondrous fan or spiral shaped colonies. My eyes are getting too old to see the fine details clearly any more while in water but the structure is easy to study on well-focused macro images.

Loving the diversity of finds from the Merritt Island Magical Mystery Micro-matrix.

Cheers.

-Ken