1st Nebraska Badlands jaw prep/clean. Three toed horse (havnt +ID yet)

ElToro

This is my first attempt at cleaning a Badlands fossil. Brutal. SO much hard chalky rock it took me about 4hrs wit a pic and a little while on the toothbrush. Anyone else here have experience with these fossils? (Pics are before and after)

post-20038-0-86711500-1449998511_thumb.jpg

post-20038-0-07133400-1449998554_thumb.jpg

"That belongs in a museum!"

- Indiana Jones

Ouah ! Marvelous job !

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

Thanx! Now my elbow hurts. I'll start on the other side of the jaw later. Phew! Hard work!

- Indiana Jones

Very nice result. I find that an ElectroStylus device works great on that White River matrix; then a carbide needle in a pin vise for the close work. Such an approach will provide some relief from the physical stress of such a prep; a benefit with only a modest expenditure.

• I found this Informative 1

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

Very nice result. I find that an ElectroStylus device works great on that White River matrix; then a carbide needle in a pin vise for the close work. Such an approach will provide some relief from the physical stress of such a prep; a benefit with only a modest expenditure.

Thanx mate! I saw a TV ad for an Electrostylus today. Looks cool and cheap. Would a Dremel work, you rekon?

Yea, using only hand tools is very hard on the elbows and joints!

- Indiana Jones

Thanx mate! I saw a TV ad for an Electrostylus today. Looks cool and cheap. Would a Dremel work, you rekon?

Yea, using only hand tools is very hard on the elbows and joints!

This is the tool I've always used (snipped from Amazon web site). I have a Dremel engraver as well, but it is much less...ummmm...refined. The Dremel can power through matrix (of course not as effective as an air engraver); but the ElectroStylus is powerful as well and adjustable. There is much less felt vibration and hand fatigue with the ElectroStylus. It's pencil-shape is just more ergonomic. Good luck, have fun.

post-8873-0-74083000-1450017368_thumb.jpg

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

Thanx again! I'll checkout the hardware store tomorrow. Still, it was good learning doing it by hand first.

- Indiana Jones

A bath in cleaning vinegar will also help loosen up the clay. Soak it for 10-15 max at a time. Then I use a dental pick or an upholstery needle to scrape it. Then I'll brush it with a stiff bristled toothbrush.

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

An electric scribe would help too. They make these things to write your name on your things so that when someone steals all your stuff you can reclaimit..."look there is my name on the back of the TV"... I am not sure what they really call them. I started with electric things but moved on to compressed air and that is the best way to go. Electric might be good for you, but it won't last too long.

BTW, your fossil is not from Utah... Utah does not have any White River Fm...it is either form South Dakota, Wyoming, Colorado or Nebraska.

Edit... I just realized that your two pix are before and after, so you really didn't take off that much. The tool I described above would be for removing larger quantities of matrix. For what you did,air abrasive is the way to go. There are a bunch of posts on here about cheap air abrasive machines available. they do all run on compressed air, so you also gotta have a compressor. The work that took you 4 hours and lots of elbow grease would take 10 minutes with an air abrasive machine.

Edited by jpc

An electric scribe would help too. They make these things to write your name on your things so that when someone steals all your stuff you can reclaimit..."look there is my name on the back of the TV"... I am not sure what they really call them. I started with electric things but moved on to compressed air and that is the best way to go. Electric might be good for you, but it won't last too long.

BTW, your fossil is not from Utah... Utah does not have any White River Fm...it is either form South Dakota, Wyoming, Colorado or Nebraska.

Edit... I just realized that your two pix are before and after, so you really didn't take off that much. The tool I described above would be for removing larger quantities of matrix. For what you did,air abrasive is the way to go. There are a bunch of posts on here about cheap air abrasive machines available. they do all run on compressed air, so you also gotta have a compressor. The work that took you 4 hours and lots of elbow grease would take 10 minutes with an air abrasive machine.

Thanx mate! Yea, I just checked and it is from Nebraska. Being a dyslexic Aussie, that happens sometimes Yea, I need an air scribe eventually but the Aussie $ is about US$0.69 and our economy is terrible. The electric scribe seems like a good temporary fix. And since there isn't that much matrix on these the electric should be OK for the time being. Thanx guys! (Now I gotta go back and edit...)

- Indiana Jones

Ugh. Can't seem to ba able to edit posts. I have, however changed the labels in my gallery.

- Indiana Jones

Ugh. Can't seem to ba able to edit posts. I have, however changed the labels in my gallery.

Changed to Nebraska. :)

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Thanx mate!

No worries. The other topic is changed, too.

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Well done. It was a glorious day when I bought my first electric engraver for prep work. I burned up the motor a few hours later. Give it frequent cool down breaks.

After switching to pneumatic tools, I give out and need a break instead!

Well done. It was a glorious day when I bought my first electric engraver for prep work. I burned up the motor a few hours later. Give it frequent cool down breaks.

After switching to pneumatic tools, I give out and need a break instead!

Thanx mate! I looked at my local hardware store and they have 2 electronic engravers. A $25 one and a $35 one. The 35 runs on batteries tho. My current fossils don't have much matrix so should be OK with regards to burning out the motor. But I'm getting a few Mississippian crinoids soon that require a lot of work. What sort of air scribe have you got? I have a friend here in Australia who actually sells them to the Museums here in Australia. But only top end German ones I can't afford. Something like Cleveland Pneumatic seems more affordable. If I get a second hand one.... (Aussie economy terrible right now)

- Indiana Jones

Thanx mate! I looked at my local hardware store and they have 2 electronic engravers. A $25 one and a $35 one. The 35 runs on batteries tho. My current fossils don't have much matrix so should be OK with regards to burning out the motor. But I'm getting a few Mississippian crinoids soon that require a lot of work. What sort of air scribe have you got? I have a friend here in Australia who actually sells them to the Museums here in Australia. But only top end German ones I can't afford. Something like Cleveland Pneumatic seems more affordable. If I get a second hand one.... (Aussie economy terrible right now)

I currently use an Aro with an extra long stylus from PaleoTools. It's great for mid range prep, too small for heavy matrix removal and too large for fine/detail work. I rely 100% on micro abrasive for detail cleaning.

• 1 month later...

About to start my first white river jaw prep.

I assume this electric engraver from harbor freight would do the trick? Any advantage to using that versus my air acribe?

http://m.harborfreight.com/electric-engraver-46099.html?utm_referrer=direct%2Fnot%20provided

post-16815-0-47169700-1454087924_thumb.jpg

About to start my first white river jaw prep.

I assume this electric engraver from harbor freight would do the trick? Any advantage to using that versus my air acribe?http://m.harborfreight.com/electric-engraver-46099.html?utm_referrer=direct%2Fnot%20provided

Cool stuff. I've recently cleaned two associated Hyaenodon jaws and only used a dremel and a "dental" pick (actually a sewing pick). I use the finishing wire brush on it and it grinds the rock away great and leaves the bone untouched. I use an engraving dremel attachment for matrix removal and then the fine work with the pick. Worked great! I'll post a few pics.

- Indiana Jones

Here is one of the jaws that I have part finished. Its the one in pic above. I can't take a pic of the wholly finished jaws because they with my vet mate. He just xrayed them for me. Very cool unerupted molars! Its a subadult. Hyaenodon are strange. That last molar doesn't erupt til 3-4 yo.

post-20038-0-29798300-1454126112_thumb.jpg

post-20038-0-87860200-1454126133_thumb.jpeg

- Indiana Jones

Cool stuff. I've recently cleaned two associated Hyaenodon jaws and only used a dremel and a "dental" pick (actually a sewing pick). I use the finishing wire brush on it and it grinds the rock away great and leaves the bone untouched. I use an engraving dremel attachment for matrix removal and then the fine work with the pick. Worked great! I'll post a few pics.

Thanks for the tips. The current progress is posted here:

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/60860-subhyracodon-prep-advice/