What kind of jaw is this? Three toed horse?

ElToro

This jaw section is from the Nebraska Badlands. Found near a Hyaenodon jaw. I'm no expert. Anyone know what this is from? My first tentative guess is three toed horse...Any experts?

post-20038-0-83650200-1449999468_thumb.jpg

post-20038-0-30673600-1449999490_thumb.jpg

"That belongs in a museum!"

- Indiana Jones

For me looks more like Mesohippus.

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Yes, I think you were right on your initial guess. My bad.

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

Oreodonts don't have the prominent cingulum on their lower teeth. Mesohippus does. Agree, this jaw is most likely from the Nebraska/South Dakota/et al. badlands.

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

Oreodonts don't have the prominent cingulum on their lower teeth. Mesohippus does. Agree, this jaw is most likely from the Nebraska/South Dakota/et al. badlands.

I'll go with that...

Yup, you are absolutely right. Its from Nebraska. I just checked and I had gotten mixed up. Thanx!

- Indiana Jones

Topic edited from "Utah" to "Nebraska".

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

There are several features of the jaw section and teeth which suggest mesohippus. When teeth are that worn a definite ID can be difficult. Mesohippus is a common fossil in that part of the country.

There are several features of the jaw section and teeth which suggest mesohippus. When teeth are that worn a definite ID can be difficult. Mesohippus is a common fossil in that part of the country.

Thanx mate. Yea, they seem pretty common! My mate in the US goes for an afternoon walk and comes home with a bag full. He also found my two lovely associated Hyaenodon mandibles. The teeth on those are positively frightening!

- Indiana Jones

Archived