Partial Pleistocene avian rib bone

Cianfaglione

This partial avian rib bone was part of a collection I obtained from a friend in Florida. I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts as to a potential bird species. The closest image that I could find on the web was that of a Wild Turkey. As a comparison, I included in my photo a rib of a Red-tailed Hawk (center), and an American Crow (right). All comments would be greatly appreciated.

post-14244-0-80755500-1450124571_thumb.jpg

post-14244-0-13160400-1450124596_thumb.jpg

I am not aware of any references published to identify avian rib bones, and neither do I have much in the way of such ribs to refer to. My gut reaction is that it is pretty massive, too much so for a turkey.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I am no expert here at all but I suspect that ribs are non-diagnostic (certainly true with most things that I work on!). That said, if you could find a species list from the deposit where the rib came from then you may find a suspect or two based on size alone. Might help you get to genus level if you are lucky.

Thank you for your comments. The only rib in my collection that rivals this bone is on a Southern Screamer, which has a massive skeleton in its own right. Still, the Pleistocene rib dwarfs the screamers. Best left to my imagination.

Archived