dre464

Once we left Waco, heading back toward Houston, my wife, my daughters and I swung through Bryan/College Station and stopped off at the Whiskey Bridge. I had never been to this location before, but based on what others have mentioned here on TFF I was very excited. I trekked down the slope toward the Brazos, leading my 5 and 9 year old daughters. With the recent flooding, the hillside was very slippery and muddy, and we had a little difficulty finding a child-safe path.

We only spent about 30 or 40 minutes hunting, but we discovered some nice specimens. Here are a few...

post-18428-0-42056900-1450152990_thumb.jpg post-18428-0-05695600-1450152992_thumb.jpg

post-18428-0-20968900-1450152995_thumb.jpg post-18428-0-46019800-1450153032_thumb.jpg

So here is a cursory attempt at identification. I believe the first specimen is Athleta petrosus. I believe the second is Cochlespiropsis engonata. The third is Pseudoliva vetusta carinata. The last is Turritella sp. If I am wrong on any of these IDs, please let me know.

Climbing back out was just as difficult as climbing down. It was made more exciting by my 5 year old daughter landing face first in wet sand and mud. Fortunately, she thought it was funny. Mommy, thought it was less so... :)

Edited by dre464

"Men became scientific because they expected Law in Nature, and they expected Law in Nature because they believed in a Legislator." - C.S. Lewis

Yes, the Whiskey Bridge location can be a challenge at times but it looks like you did good despite the difficulties. It also looks like you did good on your identifications too. I would recommend you consider changing your identification of your Athleta lisbonensis to Athleta petrosus. The later shoulder spikes on your specimen are becoming pronounced, a characteristic of A. petrosus.

Jim

• I found this Informative 3

The Eocene is my favorite

Thanks Tony and PaleoWilliam!

Jim, thanks for the info. I'll edit the post to A. petrosus.

"Men became scientific because they expected Law in Nature, and they expected Law in Nature because they believed in a Legislator." - C.S. Lewis

• 5 weeks later...