Wellington formation, Permian

Sargon

I've bought this toe bone on ebay last year. It comes from Lower Permian Wellington (Ryan) Formation, Jefferson co. Oklahoma. It was listed as Diadectes sp..

I was wondering if someone could confirm this identification. Thanks in advance!

post-7503-0-11342100-1450259213_thumb.jpg

post-7503-0-39293400-1450259214_thumb.jpg

post-7503-0-63779400-1450259215_thumb.jpg

post-7503-0-47274500-1450259216_thumb.jpg

post-7503-0-43139700-1450259217_thumb.jpg

post-7503-0-51144800-1450259218_thumb.jpg

I think identifying isolated toe bones to a species is going to be very difficult just like it is with dinosaurs an area that I'm familiar with. Here is a picture of a foot from a Diadectes and there is some resemblances but there are probably other Permian reptiles that the same could be said.

post-10935-0-95517800-1450279100_thumb.jpg

Cooool! No way diadectid. It's a Dimetrodont. Way cool.

I was hoping you'd stop by!

Carpal Dimetrodont! :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Guys, I'm very excited! :) Are you positively sure it's a Dimetrodon?! Which morphological traits did you consider?

Also, could you suggest me some good papers on Dimetrodon manus/pes?

Thanks!!

"Dimetrodontid"; this leaves a comfortable margin of uncertainty.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

"Dimetrodontid"; this leaves a comfortable margin of uncertainty.

So basically, it looks like it might belong to a pelicosaur? Could it be something else - like Eryops or Archeria?

I think that Dimetrodon sp. may be OK. Dinodigger knows these things upside-down and backwards. :)

Thanx LordTrilobite.

I have not been able to find a dimetrodont phalanx, but I've found this - a detailed view of an African cynodont phalanx. The penultimate phalanx (E-H) looks quite simmilar to my fossil in morphological details. What do you guys think?

Cynodont phalanx

Edited by Sargon