Ancient Ecosystem Found In Ice Pocket

Nicholas

April 16, 2009 -- Beneath a glacier in Antarctica, scientists have discovered a community of microbes growing in frigid pools of salty water.

find the article HERE!

Neat stuff; thanks for sharing.

The article says: "Either way, the research highlights the relentless resilience of life on Earth . . . 'As long as there's energy, life finds a way to take advantage of it.' "

I agree with that statement, except I'd not find a need to specify 'on Earth'. I'd speculate that the same biochemistry we see on this planet is 'universal', i.e. exists throughout our universe leading to a universal "relentless resilience of life".

I'd speculate that the same biochemistry we see on this planet is 'universal', i.e. exists throughout our universe leading to a universal "relentless resilience of life".

Ditto that!

No magic required, just energy and time; self-perpetuation transcends time.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I thought this story was quite interesting, and it does raise a lot of questions about what conditions life(or alien life) can thrive in.

Neat stuff; thanks for sharing.

The article says: "Either way, the research highlights the relentless resilience of life on Earth . . . 'As long as there's energy, life finds a way to take advantage of it.' "

I agree with that statement, except I'd not find a need to specify 'on Earth'. I'd speculate that the same biochemistry we see on this planet is 'universal', i.e. exists throughout our universe leading to a universal "relentless resilience of life".

Ditto that!

No magic required, just energy and time; self-perpetuation transcends time.

I agree with both of you guys on that. Just look at the life they found using sulfur on the seafloor to survive.

youtube-logo-png-46031.png

I agree with both of you guys on that. Just look at the life they found...

And here we are, "far from sulfur, [where] sunlight supports strange life forms"!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

And here we are, "far from sulfur, [where] sunlight supports strange life forms"!

See , I told my Iron Worker friend their were Iron Termites .

Pretty cool article , just goes to show we don't need to spend billions venturing out in space to find new thing to study .

Hunting fossils is fun , but discovering is better !

Yet another good read,

thanks

where do you find the time to find all

these good read's??

do you have a life or just school :D